AMD Announces Navi 14 Based Radeon RX 5500 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Jep. I don't have anything QUITE that old - by a whole year :P - but an Ivy-era i7 is still more than enough for almost anything even now, CPU-wise. With the hype of 4K displays in particular over the last few years, there also may be quite a few casual gamers who need to push a lot more pixels than before but don't have any higher geometry demands.
    Keep in mind 2600k, 2700k, and i3770k can easily be overclocked. 10-15% is simple with Noctua heatsink and 120mm fan. If you have a dedicated system for gaming, you can turn off all mitigations and background services. If you need more disk bandwidth, set up RAID0. 1200 MB/s isn't that far from NVMe M.2 SSD performance. Many games don't need the full 16x PCIe 3/4 bandwidth. You might lose few fps, but it's not really a problem unless you're a hardcore FPS gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Keep in mind 2600k, 2700k, and i3770k can easily be overclocked. 10-15% is simple with Noctua heatsink and 120mm fan. If you have a dedicated system for gaming, you can turn off all mitigations and background services. If you need more disk bandwidth, set up RAID0. 1200 MB/s isn't that far from NVMe M.2 SSD performance. Many games don't need the full 16x PCIe 3/4 bandwidth. You might lose few fps, but it's not really a problem unless you're a hardcore FPS gamer.
      If you are willing to mod your BIOS you should be able to use M.2 NVMe with sandy-/ivy motherboards. I had a 3770 & Q77 chipset which I BIOS modded. I used a PCI-E to M.2 adaptor and ran Samsung NVMe 960 evo with no problems. They simply did not provide the updates to force people to buy new hardware.

I upgraded to Ryzen 2700X (needed more PCI-E lanes) and gave my 3770 to a friend who's 2500k stopped working. He doesn't play super demanding games, but plays very competitively. does not have any complaints using it with a Rx 580 and 144Hz monitor. If it wasn't for the cost of electricity and limited PCI-E lanes I would not mind still using a overclocked 3770k.

The rx 5500 doesn't look too impressive with only 128-bit memory. I'm still wondering if I should get a 5700 XT or not. I'm very interested in undervolting it. People on reddit claim to get boost clock of 1901 MHz @ 975mV. If I can get that I'd be very happy, still waiting for more cards and info before I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Nice, but I hope they will release a version also with passive cooling that I can put in parents computers, because for their needs, (browsing, watching videos on Youtube or with Kodi) it will be great to have the GPU silent.
        just use a 2200G or 3200G for that. Plenty of grunt GPU wise for that.

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post

just use a 2200G or 3200G for that. Plenty of grunt GPU wise for that.
          I plan to make their computers as future-proof as possible and good for movies watching.
          For best video quality I need something that can decode 4K, HDR, HFR and transmit it to the tv on a separate output.
          The integrated GPU leaves this to the motherboard which most likely has only one output and even on that might not have the latest versions of HDMI or Displayport.
          So, I want to use a dedicated GPU for this, but a silent one (fanless).

Comment

Working...
          X