AMD Announces Navi 14 Based Radeon RX 5500 Series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Jep. I don't have anything QUITE that old - by a whole year :P - but an Ivy-era i7 is still more than enough for almost anything even now, CPU-wise. With the hype of 4K displays in particular over the last few years, there also may be quite a few casual gamers who need to push a lot more pixels than before but don't have any higher geometry demands.
    Keep in mind 2600k, 2700k, and i3770k can easily be overclocked. 10-15% is simple with Noctua heatsink and 120mm fan. If you have a dedicated system for gaming, you can turn off all mitigations and background services. If you need more disk bandwidth, set up RAID0. 1200 MB/s isn't that far from NVMe M.2 SSD performance. Many games don't need the full 16x PCIe 3/4 bandwidth. You might lose few fps, but it's not really a problem unless you're a hardcore FPS gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Keep in mind 2600k, 2700k, and i3770k can easily be overclocked. 10-15% is simple with Noctua heatsink and 120mm fan. If you have a dedicated system for gaming, you can turn off all mitigations and background services. If you need more disk bandwidth, set up RAID0. 1200 MB/s isn't that far from NVMe M.2 SSD performance. Many games don't need the full 16x PCIe 3/4 bandwidth. You might lose few fps, but it's not really a problem unless you're a hardcore FPS gamer.
      If you are willing to mod your BIOS you should be able to use M.2 NVMe with sandy-/ivy motherboards. I had a 3770 & Q77 chipset which I BIOS modded. I used a PCI-E to M.2 adaptor and ran Samsung NVMe 960 evo with no problems. They simply did not provide the updates to force people to buy new hardware.

I upgraded to Ryzen 2700X (needed more PCI-E lanes) and gave my 3770 to a friend who's 2500k stopped working. He doesn't play super demanding games, but plays very competitively. does not have any complaints using it with a Rx 580 and 144Hz monitor. If it wasn't for the cost of electricity and limited PCI-E lanes I would not mind still using a overclocked 3770k.

The rx 5500 doesn't look too impressive with only 128-bit memory. I'm still wondering if I should get a 5700 XT or not. I'm very interested in undervolting it. People on reddit claim to get boost clock of 1901 MHz @ 975mV. If I can get that I'd be very happy, still waiting for more cards and info before I buy.

Comment

Working...
      X