Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Looks Like HDMI FreeSync/VRR For Linux + Wayland Support Will Eventually Come For AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Are you using an integrated AMD GPU? HDMI is something you should simply avoid next time when buying any hardware, it's just a bad technology. Also weird for motherboard makers to make HDMI and not DP output. They need to pay license for the former.
    yes 2400G + b350m-e
    anyway, i really hope they add hdmi freesync, because as per what i said above there are a lot of monitors with it, and only it

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

there are A LOT of hdmi only freesync monitors, especially on the lower end, mine is one of them
    also as i am using a mobo without displayport there is 0 chance of me using displayport
    Are you using an integrated AMD GPU? HDMI is something you should simply avoid next time when buying any hardware, it's just a bad technology. Also weird for motherboard makers to make HDMI and not DP output. They need to pay license for the former.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied

Isn't it limited to TVs mostly? HDMI only monitors especially with adaptive sync sounds like a weird combination.

Anyway, if you are buying a monitor, make sure it has DisplayPort. It's simply crippled if it doesn't.

You can check that here as well: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors
    there are A LOT of hdmi only freesync monitors, especially on the lower end, mine is one of them
    also as i am using a mobo without displayport there is 0 chance of me using displayport

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I hope it won't! There are a ton of HDMI only Freesync monitors out there which would be left without support on Linux.
    Isn't it limited to TVs mostly? HDMI only monitors especially with adaptive sync sounds like a weird combination.

Anyway, if you are buying a monitor, make sure it has DisplayPort. It's simply crippled if it doesn't.

You can check that here as well: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I hope it won't! There are a ton of HDMI only Freesync monitors out there which would be left without support on Linux.
    like mine...

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    will the freesync hdmi support require hdmi 2.1 support?

Leave a comment:

• Space Heater
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post
    I would more wish for Freesync while having a non-freesync secondary monitor...
    Isn't that limitation due to Xorg and not the underlying implementation?

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    The bad news is always for Nvidia users.

Leave a comment:

• Nuc!eoN
    replied
    I wouldn't personally worry much about HDMI, it's better to stay away from it to begin with, and use DisplayPort.
    Well that's like your personal use case. There's many people out there stuck with HDMI and it's always been a heavily requested feature.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    will the freesync hdmi support require hdmi 2.1 support?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X