Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Looks Like HDMI FreeSync/VRR For Linux + Wayland Support Will Eventually Come For AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jussihi
    replied
    Is there any update regarding this? It's been over a year and there is still no FreeSync possible for HDMI.

I have my small HTPC with Ryzen 2400G with Vega graphics that support FreeSync. It has both DP and HDMI outputs, but the TV has only HDMI slots.. So I'm asking that could I just use a DP --> HDMI cable and be able to use the FreeSync feature of the amdgpu driver (since it is DP only at the moment)?

Leave a comment:

• tului
    replied
    I use my 65", VRR Samsung for my Xbox One X and VRR is great. I really wish my PC would do VRR too.

It'd also be great if turning on HDR in Windows 10 didn't make it look washed out. Never understood how MS could make HDR have less color

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by tului View Post
    Couldnt you grab like an $80 card that's better performance than the iGPU and has DP Freesync?
    read again, my monitor has just hdmi

Leave a comment:

• tecfreak
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Are you using an integrated AMD GPU? HDMI is something you should simply avoid next time when buying any hardware, it's just a bad technology. Also weird for motherboard makers to make HDMI and not DP output. They need to pay license for the former.
    HDMI is still the way to go if you want to hook up your (HT)PC to a TV.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    I'm happy that Wayland will get free sync support. That feature is quite important, but I didn't switch back to X11 just for this.

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Michael Harry (along with most other people working on DC) is in the display team, not the Linux open source graphics team.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant "Orca". Internally I call it OrcaGL .

Leave a comment:

• Mystro256
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Orace...?
    I'm pretty sure he meant "Orca". Internally I call it OrcaGL .

Leave a comment:

• tului
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

yes 2400G + b350m-e
    anyway, i really hope they add hdmi freesync, because as per what i said above there are a lot of monitors with it, and only it
    Couldnt you grab like an $80 card that's better performance than the iGPU and has DP Freesync?

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    multi monitor support would be great for VRR if someone can figure it out. I would like to use VRR but having a second monitor connected disables it which is just stupid. (windows has really good vrr supports, works in any setup)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X