Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Looks Like HDMI FreeSync/VRR For Linux + Wayland Support Will Eventually Come For AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I hope it won't! There are a ton of HDMI only Freesync monitors out there which would be left without support on Linux.
    like mine...

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I hope it won't! There are a ton of HDMI only Freesync monitors out there which would be left without support on Linux.
      Isn't it limited to TVs mostly? HDMI only monitors especially with adaptive sync sounds like a weird combination.

Anyway, if you are buying a monitor, make sure it has DisplayPort. It's simply crippled if it doesn't.

You can check that here as well: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Isn't it limited to TVs mostly? HDMI only monitors especially with adaptive sync sounds like a weird combination.

Anyway, if you are buying a monitor, make sure it has DisplayPort. It's simply crippled if it doesn't.

You can check that here as well: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors
        there are A LOT of hdmi only freesync monitors, especially on the lower end, mine is one of them
        also as i am using a mobo without displayport there is 0 chance of me using displayport

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

there are A LOT of hdmi only freesync monitors, especially on the lower end, mine is one of them
          also as i am using a mobo without displayport there is 0 chance of me using displayport
          Are you using an integrated AMD GPU? HDMI is something you should simply avoid next time when buying any hardware, it's just a bad technology. Also weird for motherboard makers to make HDMI and not DP output. They need to pay license for the former.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Are you using an integrated AMD GPU? HDMI is something you should simply avoid next time when buying any hardware, it's just a bad technology. Also weird for motherboard makers to make HDMI and not DP output. They need to pay license for the former.
            yes 2400G + b350m-e
            anyway, i really hope they add hdmi freesync, because as per what i said above there are a lot of monitors with it, and only it

Comment

multi monitor support would be great for VRR if someone can figure it out. I would like to use VRR but having a second monitor connected disables it which is just stupid. (windows has really good vrr supports, works in any setup)

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

yes 2400G + b350m-e
                anyway, i really hope they add hdmi freesync, because as per what i said above there are a lot of monitors with it, and only it
                Couldnt you grab like an $80 card that's better performance than the iGPU and has DP Freesync?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Orace...?
                  I'm pretty sure he meant "Orca". Internally I call it OrcaGL .

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                    I'm pretty sure he meant "Orca". Internally I call it OrcaGL .

Comment

Michael Harry (along with most other people working on DC) is in the display team, not the Linux open source graphics team.

Comment

Working...
                      X