Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Posts A New Slide Deck Outlining The RDNA Architecture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Posts A New Slide Deck Outlining The RDNA Architecture

    Phoronix: AMD Posts A New Slide Deck Outlining The RDNA Architecture

    Last week AMD published their RDNA instruction set architecture documentation. That's a bit heavy reading unless you are a driver developer or low-level engine developer, but for those wanting a bit of a higher-level look at AMD's new RDNA graphics architecture, today they uploaded a new slide deck...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tecture-Slides

  • #2
    It looks like AMD put some effort into explaining it well. Thanks to whoever compiled the documentation!

    Comment


    • #3
      Elsewhere I read that Samsung might be licensing for their future chips. That might be very interesting, especially since that would mean some ultra-mobile/ARM/whatever-CPUs combine with AMD GPU stuff which in turn means (hopefully) a free-as-in-freedom driver.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Elsewhere I read that Samsung might be licensing for their future chips. That might be very interesting, especially since that would mean some ultra-mobile/ARM/whatever-CPUs combine with AMD GPU stuff which in turn means (hopefully) a free-as-in-freedom driver.
        If Samsung intends to use actual AMD GPU IP blocks (rather than just some ideas/concepts/patents), then they would probably use it in mobile devices that are definitely not accepted to crash frequently... and that in turn might mean they might invest some efforts into making the amdgpu driver stable. Just dreaming, and many "if"s, I know...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          It looks like AMD put some effort into explaining it well. Thanks to whoever compiled the documentation!
          I agree, interesting read, I found it quite easy to understand with limited previous knowledge in graphics card architecture. Good job on the documentation, good job on the GPUs !

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dwagner View Post
            If Samsung intends to use actual AMD GPU IP blocks (rather than just some ideas/concepts/patents), then they would probably use it in mobile devices that are definitely not accepted to crash frequently... and that in turn might mean they might invest some efforts into making the amdgpu driver stable. Just dreaming, and many "if"s, I know...
            It's already perfectly stable for nearly all hardware.

            Comment

            Working...
            X