X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need many advices

Hello there fellow Linux geeks.

I just secured myself a job(Yae!).
    At the end of month, if all goes well with this new job(its very challenging, but finally very Linux relevant/related) I will have some cabbage in my pocket.

So I will donate something to Phoronix, because I love and visit this site for over several years now. I suggest you do too.

And also I consider upgrade to following components:
    GPU, CPU, Monitor, cooling for CPU.
    With CPU I will go for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X.
    Because it's best CPU my Mobo can support.(upgrade from Ryzen 5 1500)

So I need advices, especially from people who already own those things.

About video card: rx5700, Radeon, is it good investment longer term? It does not have Ray Tracing in hardware. Should I wait a little longer? Is anything else coming out soon worth considering longer term, especially from AMD? I'd rather get Radeons, because of open source drivers. But I currently own 780TI from Nvidia, which is obsolete and absolutely needs replacement. I understand Ray Tracing is not on AMD radars yet for another generation of video cards at least. Is that correct marek ?

Apart from Tomb Raider series, are there any games on Linux, existing or coming that will have ray tracing?

And I need a BIG advice on screen.
    1. Should I invest more into 4K screen? I am occasional/semi gamer. I love FPS and play them online to score some frags. My 1080p seems obsolete and its 60Hz. I will be using monitor most of my spare time, so it's kind of important, for both semi professional purposes(very seldom working from home on company laptop). I see screen as long term investment, hence I may consider getting more expensive one.(it may survive video card replacement, so probably 5-6 years minimum)
    2. Should I go ultra wide instead with somewhat higher resolution than 1080p but smaller than 4K?
    3. How is the support of ultrawide screens on Linux? How is the 4K support?(i especially value advices from those who own such equipment)
    4. Or should I just get non ultra wide, but bigger screen and couple two screens together?(existing and new one)
    5. If we talk about ultrawide screens, i want to be able to play 1080p resolution game and watch a video same time, is it possible? How difficult is it to set up?(i understand Ultrawide can act like 2 screens same time if I use HDMI instead of Display Port). Guessing with Nvidia it's going to be simple, but does AMD has nice GUI tool to configure things?
    6. How bad is situation with two monitors currently, especially if they are different models/refresh rate/resolution/etc? How does gaming work on them? What about playing game and watching video same time? Will I still have 144 frame rate on one screen and 60 on other or it goes to least common denominator?
    7. Does HDR play any role in Linux yet or do you see it becoming a thing? marek , from AMD, could you shed some light please?
    8. Does open source AMD driver support Freesync well?
    9. How bad is the situation between switching proprietary/kernel drivers?(i am gentoo guy, 'modprobe -r amd_driver' does not scare me)

I will gladly read all and every reply.

Too many questions

1. 4K is not necessary.
    2. Ultrawide but depends on what you play really.
    3. Again depends . . .
    4. This would be the option if $$ is not an issue.
    5. Haven't tried this yet but not sure why it won't be impossible?
    6. I have two monitors. All good.
    7. Definitely.
    8. Not sure . . .
    10. Congratulations on being more hardcore than me.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      So I need advices, especially from people who already own those things.
      I assume you've already made your decisions, but I'll offer some opinions.

IMO, don't go for 4k. There are some IPS HDR/VFR 1440p panels coming to market that would surely offer you a better gaming experience with anything but the very fastest GPUs. LG is making "1 ms" panels, but you can buy them in either LG-branded monitors or a few other brands sell monitors built around them.

I'm not a big fan of ultra-wide, but then I'm also not a gamer.

As for the GPU, it depends on what you want to do with it, what's your budget, and how much you care about supporting open source drivers. RX5700 (XT) is decent, for the money. A bigger/faster (and surely more expensive) Navi card is rumored to launch in early 2020, but I'm not up to date on the latest GPU rumors. Intel will also launch their dGPUs later next year.

Also, your best bet for following AMD's Freesync support on Linux is to search Phoronix' articles. This site is good about covering any movement, on that front.

Comment

So, I see you went with the 5700...

Phoronix: AMD Has A Number Of Graphics Driver Fixes To Add For Linux 5.4 In addition to the new hardware support and other features queued already in DRM-Next for the upcoming Linux 5.4 merge window, on Friday AMD sent in a final pull request to DRM-Next of new material ahead of this upcoming kernel cycle...

With what monitor(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          So, I see you went with the 5700...

Phoronix: AMD Has A Number Of Graphics Driver Fixes To Add For Linux 5.4 In addition to the new hardware support and other features queued already in DRM-Next for the upcoming Linux 5.4 merge window, on Friday AMD sent in a final pull request to DRM-Next of new material ahead of this upcoming kernel cycle...

With what monitor(s)?

5700XT

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            Cool. Looks like it'll gave that GPU quite a workout!

Still, only about 60% as many pixels as 4k. So, probably a good match.
            Last edited by coder; 05 October 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Cool. Looks like it'll gave that GPU quite a workout!

Still, only about 60% as many pixels as 4k. So, probably a good match.
              its a decent semigamer screen. 100hz refresh rate, ultrawide and amd freesync. and freesync is rather good, 40-100 is really good.

Comment

Working...
              X