AMD Radeon RX 5700 / RX 5700XT Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I'm pretty sure VCN 2.0 is only capable of freaking 4:2:0 crap with NO 4:4:4 whatsoever. No information about it, so what can I assume? No changes, of course.

Screw it! I'll have to use my spare NVIDIA card for encoding and my AMD card for rendering. *sigh*
    I'm not holding out too much hope that GPU media encode/decode on AMD will vastly improve on Linux. HOWEVER, at lease EposVox on youtube tested a number of OBS/ffmpeg/Adobe setups with Navi and found some good results after tinkering. Encoding with Navi supported WAY more streams than NVENC on Turing. H.264 required a lot of tinkering and still looked blocky. HEVC/H.265 on the other hand looked buttery smooth.

Maybe AMD finally has their media block for Navi up to par?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      It's a shame that navi is a bit of a non story after nvidia cut prices and released the super cards.
      It's not a non-story. It offers better performance than similarly-priced Nvidia cards, and surpasses the Vega cards, which was a higher-tier product and had higher launch prices. In time, prices of the RX 5700 / XT will probably trend towards the RX 580 / RX 590.

It doesn't re-capture the high-end, but it wasn't supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I'm pretty sure VCN 2.0 is only capable of freaking 4:2:0 crap with NO 4:4:4 whatsoever.
        What is your deal with 4:4:4, anyway? It's typically only used for pro/video-editing use cases, where people care about pulling color keys and stuff. If you're not post-processing your videos, then you don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
          MichaelWhy no 1080p benchmarks? Most people in the price-range are not going to use 4k displays!
          Most of his benchmarks aren't 4k! 2560x1440 is about half as many pixels, and about twice that of 1080p.

Most people using 1080p are probably down in the sub-$200 GPU range. These are nearly twice as expensive. You don't need such fast GPUs for 1080p.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
            There is one more typo but I am not going to tell you where it is. Find it out.
            That's not very honorable of the honorary editor.

Comment

Those benchmarks are odd compared to what we get on Windows from GamersNexus or HardwareUnboxed. For one - Linux set lacks games (and games grouped by which GPU brand or type they prefer more, OpenGL/Vulkan etc.) and two the methodology could be improved. 1% and 0.1% low or frametime graph to show possible stutter, analyzing outlier results like super low GTX 1080Ti score or sometimes very high position of Vega 64. Benchmarks running at >> 200 FPS aren't good either on average.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                What is your deal with 4:4:4, anyway? It's typically only used for pro/video-editing use cases, where people care about pulling color keys and stuff. If you're not post-processing your videos, then you don't need it.
                OK, so this is my deal.
                I do care about preserving exact colors. 4:2:0 is detrimental to screen recording because it blurs red/magenta text and desaturates some areas. I do need it.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  That's not very honorable of the honorary editor.
                  Wait! I thought the typo was in this article...

Comment

Video cards and cpus disappoint me. They should be getting faster, smaller and more energy efficient and they are not.

Comment

There is 1 editing issue. You compare vega64 to itself in one test.
                      What's up with Deus Ex? Is 4k playable but 1440p a slideshow at 0.25fps?
                      Good article. I wish the RTG could follow in the CPU sides footsteps and get the patches in quicker. Just contribute a bit more ahead of time. This is the 1 area nvidia excels at and it would be nice if TTG could do something similar.

Comment

Working...
                      X