DisplayPort 2.0 Published For 3x Increase In Data Bandwidth Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisplayPort 2.0 Published For 3x Increase In Data Bandwidth Performance

Phoronix: DisplayPort 2.0 Published For 3x Increase In Data Bandwidth Performance

VESA announced their first major update to the DisplayPort interface in three years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not an expert, so I'm happy to be corrected. It used to be that DVI was for monitors, and HDMI (because it could carry sound) was for TVs. Then DVI got support for sound. Then DisplayPort replaced DVI.

DisplayPort and HDMI both transfer sound/video and are both fairly small in size (both have mini ports as well), and both handle really high refresh rates and resolutions.
    Are there pros/cons that make one better suited to TV or Monitor, or do we have two similar standards just for historical reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      I'm not an expert, so I'm happy to be corrected. It used to be that DVI was for monitors, and HDMI (because it could carry sound) was for TVs. Then DVI got support for sound. Then DisplayPort replaced DVI.

DisplayPort and HDMI both transfer sound/video and are both fairly small in size (both have mini ports as well), and both handle really high refresh rates and resolutions.
      Are there pros/cons that make one better suited to TV or Monitor, or do we have two similar standards just for historical reasons?
      HDMI, which replaced component (Y Pb Pr) video, is for consumer living room devices.

DisplayPort, which replaced DVI, is for computers. (DVI was video-only, it never had the ability to carry audio).
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 26 June 2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Is DP also encumbered with the crappy licensing/costs that HDMI has?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Is DP also encumbered with the crappy licensing/costs that HDMI has?
          No, DP is free AFAIK.

Comment

HDMI has licensing and royalty fees per unit. DP is a VESA standard that is license and royalty free. However a membership in VESA is required to access the documents (starts from 5000$).

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              DVI was video-only, it never had the ability to carry audio.
              It's possible to use a DVI-HDMI cable and get audio that way, at least on nVidia cards.

Comment

Oh please. Can't we just have one transmission protocol for everything now please?
                I know of the attempts, but it is still very much divergent.
                Each contemporary generation of all these protocols all use the same base SerDes available on the ASIC market for transmission anyway.

Comment

do we have two similar standards just for historical reasons?
                  In practice, yes.

DP is a free standard though, so for example DP's Adaptive Sync can be implemented by every vendor, meanwhile HDMI only allows these things as vendor-specific extensions (which means others can't do it unless the vendor specifically opens it up)

Comment

HDMI is subject to royalties.
                    DisplayPort is free to use.

Use DisplayPort when possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X