Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.2 + Mesa 19.2 Performance With Polaris/Vega/Vega20 vs. NVIDIA On Ubuntu 19.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

I think you've reinforced what he was saying.

But, at the end of the day, each to their own.
    I did, but not without exceptions.

And that's the greatness of PC gaming, each to their own.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by moilami View Post

I get what you mean, for I could had written what you wrote. The first game I played on PC was Nethack, and at one point years passed and I only played Nethack. Anyway there are cases where ultra wide monitors are highly preferable, else it feels like you would be back to 1024x768.

Many games are simply much more awesome with ultra wide monitors. Therefore I like to think that 1080p is modern retro. 8 bit is ancient gaming. Or maybe 1080p is classical gaming or eco gaming.
    I think you've reinforced what he was saying.

But, at the end of the day, each to their own.

Leave a comment:

• oleyska
    replied
    Vega is performing well versus the competition, same with polaris.
    Radeon 7 is underperforming.. a lot.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I find it hard to understand all the need for such high graphic detail while gaming. The fun part of any game is the rules and nothing else. A game is either fun or boring depending on what you have to do with it, how easy/hard is to win and complete achievements for you. If a tree at your side has a ladybug on a leaf and you can't see it because you are not running the game at 444K resolution, that does not change anything in your gaming experience, unless that ladybug is the key to win the game itself.

I find current retro games as fun as modern ones, if not even more. After all, you'll never manage to convince your brain that what it is seeing is the reality, because what you see is only a little part of the whole experience. Than there is what you hear, what you touch, what you feel and so on. The gap is filled by your imagination (e.g. your brain), that works perfectly well (maybe even better) with a 640x480 pixels CRT display too.

Anyway, that's progress, or the best thing we manage to do to tell ourselves we make progress. Throw in a bunch of megapixels, throw away old hardware, add some lights to the keyboards and tell people they won't have fun if they miss the new model of everything.

I have a lot of fun playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, for example. Yes, the X11 tiles version is a bit more handy, but anything beyond that would just be wasted resources. I do own F1 2017 too, and I like it a lot, but not more than Torcs or Stunts.

And yes, my RX 580 is overkill for everything I play, but I needed a new graphics card anyway back then, and I've always preferred being on the safe side, so I'm going to buy a new RX 5700 XT as soon as available...
    I get what you mean, for I could had written what you wrote. The first game I played on PC was Nethack, and at one point years passed and I only played Nethack. Anyway there are cases where ultra wide monitors are highly preferable, else it feels like you would be back to 1024x768.

Many games are simply much more awesome with ultra wide monitors. Therefore I like to think that 1080p is modern retro. 8 bit is ancient gaming. Or maybe 1080p is classical gaming or eco gaming.

Leave a comment:

• lucrus
    replied
    Originally posted by moilami View Post

To be honest 1080p is beginning to be new retro gaming.
    I find it hard to understand all the need for such high graphic detail while gaming. The fun part of any game is the rules and nothing else. A game is either fun or boring depending on what you have to do with it, how easy/hard is to win and complete achievements for you. If a tree at your side has a ladybug on a leaf and you can't see it because you are not running the game at 444K resolution, that does not change anything in your gaming experience, unless that ladybug is the key to win the game itself.

I find current retro games as fun as modern ones, if not even more. After all, you'll never manage to convince your brain that what it is seeing is the reality, because what you see is only a little part of the whole experience. Than there is what you hear, what you touch, what you feel and so on. The gap is filled by your imagination (e.g. your brain), that works perfectly well (maybe even better) with a 640x480 pixels CRT display too.

Anyway, that's progress, or the best thing we manage to do to tell ourselves we make progress. Throw in a bunch of megapixels, throw away old hardware, add some lights to the keyboards and tell people they won't have fun if they miss the new model of everything.

I have a lot of fun playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, for example. Yes, the X11 tiles version is a bit more handy, but anything beyond that would just be wasted resources. I do own F1 2017 too, and I like it a lot, but not more than Torcs or Stunts.

And yes, my RX 580 is overkill for everything I play, but I needed a new graphics card anyway back then, and I've always preferred being on the safe side, so I'm going to buy a new RX 5700 XT as soon as available...

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by puxx View Post
    First I want to thank you Michael for this amazing site, PTS, and all the testing you do, that's really amazing and shouldn't be taken for granted.

Would you mind to explain why most of your gaming tests are nowadays tested on 4K/2K resolution and not on 1080p anymore?
    Isn't 1080p still the de-fac-to standard?
    To be honest 1080p is beginning to be new retro gaming.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by puxx View Post
    First I want to thank you Michael for this amazing site, PTS, and all the testing you do, that's really amazing and shouldn't be taken for granted.

Would you mind to explain why most of your gaming tests are nowadays tested on 4K/2K resolution and not on 1080p anymore?
    Isn't 1080p still the de-fac-to standard?
    I hope the average 2080TI owner isn't doing gaming at 1080p.

It makes sense to test that for the more reasonably priced cards, though.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Looking at these $1000 cards and here I am happily chugging along with my 2200G for my gaming 'needs'. Plays Borderlands and Conan Exiles well enough. Steam's actually done a lot of good (DRM arguments aside) getting this gaming bru-ha all focussed for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• betam4x
    replied
    Interesting times for Linux and gaming. AMD just needs 1 more hardware iteration and they'll be beating NVIDIA on Linux. While NVIDIA may be dominating on Windows, their Linux performance is apparently severely lacking. Especially when it comes to frame times.

Leave a comment:

• bosjc
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

There ended up being no benchmark mode.
    Do you mean like.. automated benchmark? There is at least a manual one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X