AMD Licensing RDNA Graphics IP To Samsung For Smartphones & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    This sounds more like an IP block license where Samsung does nearly zero engineering just drag and drop it in they can probably configure how many CUs and if it has various sub units such as VCE etc... and such on their end but it should just be a plain AMD device sitting among the devices attached to the CPUs... typically companies doing this don't even get acess to all of the hardware design files just some netlists and enough VHDL or verilog to make it configurable.
    Sounds very good to me. The less Samsung touches, the better.

Comment

Custom IP usually means ID prohibited from usual drivers & More

Sounds like... Nothing & More
      Last edited by dungeon; 03 June 2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Custom IP usually means ID prohibited from usual drivers & More

Sounds like... Nothing & More
        Of course they'll use the same AMD Drivers. No-one is going to do double work.

Comment

There is alot of cart before horse going on. Nobodies even seen a single driver yet. Which is strange, because the Navi 10 pcb with a blower was picked apart a month ago.

Comment

Battlefield N will finally run on Android?

Comment

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Hoping the resulting Exynos SoC trickles down into an SBC I can buy in 5 years.
              Last edited by andreano; 03 June 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Sounds like either RDNA is more scalable than GCN or then Samsung bought this for slightly larger devices like tablets, set-top boxes and all-in-one desktops.

The reason why I'm being this negative is because AMD had a mobile GPU division based in Finland, originally called BitBoys and founded by members of the Future Crew demoscene group, that they bought in 2006 only to sell it to Qualcomm in 2009 after their then CEO stated he thought mobile is a dead end. This is incidentally why the name of Qualcomm's "Adreno" graphics is just "Radeon" with the letters scrambled.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
                  Very interesting, and unexpected, news.

Samsung giving up with ARM's Mali?
                  Indeed unexpected, there were news on their own custom graphics chips not so long ago which were in development.

Comment

From what I read, RDNA is different from GCN, and first generation of Navi is a hybrid combination of both. Second generation of Navi will be just RDNA. I suppose it's good for mobile GPUs as well (and Samsung will be using just RDNA design).

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                      Sounds like either RDNA is more scalable than GCN or then Samsung bought this for slightly larger devices like tablets, set-top boxes and all-in-one desktops.
                      Just look at Qualcomm's recent attempts to really push ARM performance into laptops/netbooks/whatever they're called now. Maybe Samsung think that's a market they can push into with a decent (non-mobile) GPU. And AMD was talking about ARM SoCs a few years ago before reprioritizing Zen. Maybe they decided that they really don't want to get into the fast-moving mobile chip market. So AMD license their GPU IP to Samsung and let them muck about in that space.

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                      The reason why I'm being this negative is because AMD had a mobile GPU division based in Finland, originally called BitBoys and founded by members of the Future Crew demoscene group, that they bought in 2006 only to sell it to Qualcomm in 2009 after their then CEO stated he thought mobile is a dead end. This is incidentally why the name of Qualcomm's "Adreno" graphics is just "Radeon" with the letters scrambled.
                      IIRC, the Freedreno driver was even able to use some parts of the Radeon driver (register definitions?) to get started. They share some low-level design elements.

Comment

Working...
                      X