Radeon RX 560/570/580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060/1650/1660 Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

By the way, I also undervolted my RX 580. The stock voltages were indeed way too high and caused throttling issues. My Westmere-Xeon is running well at 4.2 GHZ at 1.25 V and the temperatures are good enough for daily use.
    Mine are in a Dell T5500 so I can't overclock them AFAIK. But they're 3.6ghz stock, boost to 3.8ghz, and I have two of them . I'd really love one of those EVGA SR-2s...damn are they very expensive on the used market. Only between $800 & $1250 on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

How did you determine that it throttled?
      By how games would play fine for the first few minutes and then they wouldn't so I started alt-tabbling back and forth between Tomb Raider (2013) and Wattman-GTK. I saw temperatures hit 85+C and It was dropping from state 7, 1366mhz, to state 2, 918mhz or 3, 1167mhz. Currently I have states 3-7 using 1075mv. IIRC, state 3 was 1100mv to begin with...after doing that it started to only get to 70/75C and the states didn't drop.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Note that GPU card implementations vary between manufacturers and models. No problems with Asus Expedition OC RX570 4GB. Asus has the best quality products with 3 year warranty here. I have 60C when running the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Benchmark at 2K.
        The data here contradicts that statement quite a bit, it is by far one of the highest return rate of RX 570 cards sold there:

Comment

The GPU temperature or card design has nothing to do with a reclamation. Sapphire cards (even vega64) have 2 year warranty here and in mindfactory reclamation rate is 1%. So mindfactory data proves nothing.
          That is not what I was referring to, you said "Asus has the best quality products with 3 year warranty here." - and that reclamation rate does not speak for "best quality" in my eyes for that particular model you mentioned even though their warrenty is one year longer. If that model has a design flaw, your replacement card wouldn't even solve your issues either. Even their higher end Vega 56 and 64 had issues with high VRM temperatures due to a cheap thermal pad which doesn't even cover all of the VRMs. They also have higher quality products, sure. But buying decisions based on the brand or length of warrenty alone are not highly reliable. Their low-end motherboards are also a rip off - you buy for the brand name, not for quality there.
          Last edited by ms178; 08 May 2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I have used nothing but Asus low-end motherboards in recent years. Bios is updated often and you can use the Bios to update it via internet or use a small fat partition. ASUSTeK model: PRIME B350M-K is so popular that the price did increase. It is a high quality product as are other Asus products. You seem to be a msi or sapphire sales man. I have burned one msi motherboard and one gpu card because of intel E2060 overclocking. I did return the gigabyte B350 gaming 3 motherboard because it did not boot after flashing latest bios and safe dual bios is nonsense in that product.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PR...0M-K/overview/

Phoronix buys Asus products too.
            Don't get me wrong. I don't have strong feelings about any brand. I do love quality for a fair price though and I even own and still operate a Asus P6T Deluxe V2 which is 9 years old with a OCed Westmere-Xeon. The quality is amazing, but it wasn't cheap either at that time.

And of course for your use cases the Prime B350M-K might be just fine. For me, the non-cooling of the VRM's would be a no-go and there are 20% cheaper models with similar specs out there at least where I live.

Comment

Well, AMD Radeon RX series is the best budget graphics card with a good amount of performance in gaming.

Comment

Working...
              X