Radeon RX 560/570/580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060/1650/1660 Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
    Using twice as much power as nVidia is nothing to be happy about.
    Unless you just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Hi. What is your experience with RX 570 in terms of system stability?
      Stability, my RX 570 Gaming X has been pretty solid. The prior card I had (R7 260X) I had a real rough time with the Catalyst to amdgpu transition period. I did suffer a few oddities with my RX 570 initially (just some weird screen flickers during boot & occasionally in KDE), but that all vanished once DC landed (Kernel 4.15). I recently opted to do a fresh install of Kubuntu on my desktop when 19.04 got released (I normally just do an upgrade), and I have to do some more system configuration tuning. Right now, in Rise of the Tomb Raider my card's FPS is hanging out with Phoronix's RX 580, but Deus Ex I can barely hit 35fps @ 1920x1080 on low settings (which is way down from the old install) - everything else is inline to the article's RX 570. I'm using Kernel 5.1 (yep, I jumped on it pretty quick) and Oibaf's Mesa PPA. X is configured for DRI3, Tear Free, and Freesync. I'll have to play around this weekend to try and figure out what is making Deus Ex so unhappy.
      Last edited by nukedathlonman; 07 May 2019, 08:19 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Strange, I own the RX 560 and I couldn't go beyond Medium 1080p in Bioshock Infinite, or it would get very laggy.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
          Using twice as much power as nVidia is nothing to be happy about.
          Twice as much? when did between 30% become twice as much? Though i agree with the sentiment that the polaris series draw to much power compared to the geforce.
          But it kind of depends on the where you values are... open source, with 30% extra power while gaming? or closed source with 30% less power while gaming...

Kind regards
          B.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah. Like how my Westmeres don't have AVX support. I'm sure that effects my results.
            Are there newer games out there today which mandate AVX support? I've heard just of a very small portion and that mostly due to DRM. Anything I threw at my Westmere worked so far. By the way, benchmarking them at stock clockspeeds would be pointless as well as everyone overclocks them to at least 4 Ghz.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Are there newer games out there today which mandate AVX support? I've heard just of a very small portion and that mostly due to DRM. Anything I threw at my Westmere worked so far. By the way, benchmarking them at stock clockspeeds would be pointless as well as everyone overclocks them to at least 4 Ghz.
              I don't have mine overclocked. They're in a dual processor workstation and run at stock clock speeds. FWIW, my x5687s are the fastest Westmere has to offer if we don't count the dual core 4.4ghz x5698.

My GPU is also running at almost stock clock speeds...I "overclocked" the memory to what almost every other 580 ships with. Mine came with 1750mhz from the factory and I bumped it up to 2000mhz. Other than that, it's extremely undervolted...that high temperature heat exchanger comment wasn't a joke. I like my hardware to last so i try not to overclock at all.

I know there's a PS4 emulator that needs AVX support...but apparently AVX is part of DX12 so it'll start being more common as DX12 becomes more common. Ubisoft has released a few games that didn't work on launch due to an AVX requirement, but later fixed with patches.

Comment

we will see next year if intel can compete with them

Comment

I bought RX 570 4G recently to (hopefully) increase system stability. It has been running stable in Linux so far. The chip is reported as RX 470 by glxinfo, so the manufacturer might have used an RX 470 chip in the card and sell it as RX 570 because of increasing memory frequency to effective 7GHz.

I had to turn off C-states, turn off Cool&Quiet, and fix the CPU frequency in BIOS to make Ryzen 1600 stable.
                  Don't put too much stock into that. Polaris detection isn't that great. My 580 reports as a 580 by glxinfo with Mesa 19, it was a 480 with Mesa 18 last month, and random games think it's a 480 or a 580 (native and wine). Hitman 2, for example, was reporting it as a 480 yesterday until I built Proton myself from newer sources. Now Hitman 2 says I have a 580.

Edit: And to add. My 580 runs really damn stable. My only issue with it is how hot it runs by default. Lowered the voltages a bit and fixed that problem. I can see a 570 having similar heat issues.
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 07 May 2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

One of the reasons I bought RX 570 instead of 580/590/Vega is that I wanted it to be less noisy. Idle temperature is 35℃ (according to /sys/class/drm). radeontop logging does not measure temperature nor fan speed, so I don't have numbers corresponding to high GPU load.
                    Mine idles low just fine, it's when pushing it under a gaming load that temperature becomes an issue. I could have made that a bit more clear.

Before undervolting it, it thermal throttled like crazy under load and now it doesn't get hot enough to throttle which makes a big difference playing games.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Mine idles low just fine, it's when pushing it under a gaming load that temperature becomes an issue. I could have made that a bit more clear.

Before undervolting it, it thermal throttled like crazy under load and now it doesn't get hot enough to throttle which makes a big difference playing games.
                      By the way, I also undervolted my RX 580. The stock voltages were indeed way too high and caused throttling issues. My Westmere-Xeon is running well at 4.2 GHZ at 1.25 V and the temperatures are good enough for daily use.

Comment

Working...
                      X