No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 560/570/580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060/1650/1660 Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX 560/570/580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060/1650/1660 Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Radeon RX 560/570/580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060/1650/1660 Linux Gaming Performance

If you are looking to soon upgrade your graphics card for Linux gaming -- especially with the increasing number of titles running well under Steam Play -- but only have a budget of around $200 USD for the graphics card, this comparison is for you. In this article we're looking at the AMD Radeon RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 against the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / GTX 1650 / GTX 1660 graphics cards. Not only are we looking at the OpenGL/Vulkan Linux gaming performance both for native titles and Steam Play but also the GPU power consumption and performance-per-dollar metrics to help guide your next budget GPU purchasing decision.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27817

nice testing, the only thing i dont like is seeing the gtx 1060 above the rx 580 in the harmonic mean, it should be the reverse

Comment

Being an owner of an RX 570 this test reaffirms something I already suspected: I'm a cheap SOB.

That aside, thank you Michael for doing a comparison of the lower-end cards, it gets a little dull looking at the amazing but nearly useless performance of $500+ cards. Some of us get a kick out of biggest bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        nice testing, the only thing i dont like is seeing the gtx 1060 above the rx 580 in the harmonic mean, it should be the reverse
        RX580 lost a lot to GTX1060 in Strange Brigade benchmark. Without this result I think that RX580 should be higher than GTX1060. I hope that fix to RADV for this Vsync issue will be available soon. At now I use AMDVLK driver for Strange Brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post

RX580 lost a lot to GTX1060 in Strange Brigade benchmark. Without this result I think that RX580 should be higher than GTX1060. I hope that fix to RADV for this Vsync issue will be available soon. At now I use AMDVLK driver for Strange Brigade.
          To be fair the harmonic mean should not consider performance on Strange Brigade -- it essentially runs at 60 fps locked.
          It is a known bug (already highlighted in some old articles), it makes sense to do check tests to verify if resolved, but completely miss-leading if included in performance comparisons.

Comment

those radeon cards sure use a lot of power.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              the RADV Radeon performance was coming in a bit short wit hthe RX 580 losing to the GTX 1060

Comment

I know that I've been very happy with my 4GB RX 580. I can play most games at 1080p60fps using slightly tweaked ultra settings. Slightly tweaked means lowering various shadow options and disabling SSAO.

Comment

In Germany RX 590 and GTX 1660 are roughly equally priced and therefore should be matched against each other... I don't know the US price tag of the 590 though.

Comment

in the Dota 2 and hitman 2 Vulkan benchmarks each GPU's min, avg and Max fps are virtually the same. Basically each GPU is maintaining a fixed framerate throughout the test.

This is highly unusual behaviour in a graphical / gaming bench.

Comment

Working...
                    X