No announcement yet.

LG's 4K FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync Display For Just $219 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure y'all know what kind of post is above this one. Happens every morning to me.

Comment

Roku TV + pihole to block dns is a great combination. The amount of data roku sends to its servers is astounding, but it can pretty easily be blocked and the TV still works as normal. I have a feeling that is why the devices are so cheap, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-VP28...itor/503780622

ASUS VP28UQG is better and costs 80 usd more only.
        No VESA mount. Deal breaker.

What really caught my eye was the "Split Screen 2.0" feature. I assumed this was displaying different port connections in a "picture in picture" type format. That is a win-win for me running multiple PCs at one and building Rasp Pi projects too. But I found that is NOT how hit works. 100% software driven for windows, not other video ports.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
          Roku TV + pihole to block dns is a great combination. The amount of data roku sends to its servers is astounding, but it can pretty easily be blocked and the TV still works as normal. I have a feeling that is why the devices are so cheap, anyway.
          Hey, I realized this when I installed a Pi-hole and found the ads on the ROKU channel, it just skipped. Need to make the same work for the other channels on my Roku box.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
            I'm glad that more and more services just work with Firefox on Linux so I can leave the wifi off on my Roku TV.

It's funny. If you search hard enough, sometimes you can still find TVs with the same panel that Roku TVs use for around $10 less without the Roku software. That's starting to become more and more rare because they like that advertising money. It used to be really common and you'd even see them advertised right next to each other on websites.

Comment

That is an awful port layout :P

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                (Companies with names you recognize don't make consumer LCD panels. They just source the core unit, preassembled, from some Chinese company you've never heard of and build the outer shell and the PCB for the buttons. Typically, you'll see a label listing said white-box manufacturer's name and part number still present on the inner casing if you open up an LCD.)
                That's true for a lot of companies (HP, Asus, BenQ, Lenovo, Dell, AOC, Apple, etc.), but there's still plenty of companies that make their own panels. At least LG, Samsung, Sharp, NEC and Panasonic all make their own panels. However you're not guaranteed to always get an in-house panel with those. Samsung even has a nasty tendency to do bait-and-switch with the first production run that reviewers get using a good in-house panel then switching to an inferior outsourced panel from companies like Chi Mei Optoelectronics for subsequent production runs.

I mentioned Samsung and Chi Mei specifically because I actually bought a Samsung display back in 2008 as it had some pretty favorable reviews. However I soon found out that it didn't really live up to the expectations and when I did some digging found out that they'd started production with an in-house panel, which was obviously the display reviewers were using, then moved to a worse AU Optronics one and finally to an even worse Chi Mei one, which is naturally what my display used based on the serial number. Now I consider Samsung display and TV reviews to not be representative of what you buy in the stores and actively discourage people from buying their displays.

As for the use of glue, I did it as I found people had done it successfully with other types of glue. Also used higher grade double sided tape as that had also worked for some people, but moved to glue after it failed in a less... destructive way. Just getting the case off and trying to find mounting points in the frame was what I thought of first, but found out that non-destructive disassembly was extremely difficult on that model as it was glued together.

I did take it apart to see if there really were some VESA mount holes there after it fell right on top of my mouse and broke the panel, but it didn't actually have any. To add insult to injury the store who sold me the glue refused to compensate me or even give me a refund for the glue because I couldn't remember the sales rep's name and the instructions said it wouldn't work on "fatty" plastics even thou it says right on the front of the box that it's a universal glue for plastics, metal and ceramics.
                Last edited by L_A_G; 02 May 2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I grabbed 3 of the LG 27UD69P-W 4K monitors when they were being discontinued on a fire sale. Not for gaming, for a Linux programming dev box. Work great with my GTX 1060 3xDP connections. What I noticed is that none of the new RTX 2060 single-fan cards have 3xDP!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

That's true for a lot of companies (HP, Asus, BenQ, Lenovo, Dell, AOC, Apple, etc.), but there's still plenty of companies that make their own panels. At least LG, Samsung, Sharp, NEC and Panasonic all make their own panels. However you're not guaranteed to always get an in-house panel with those. Samsung even has a nasty tendency to do bait-and-switch with the first production run that reviewers get using a good in-house panel then switching to an inferior outsourced panel from companies like Chi Mei Optoelectronics for subsequent production runs.
                    I know for a fact LG manufactures the the panels for their high end sets but the lower end ones are subbed to Chinese display manufactures. Samsung and LG co-ops (steals) each others designs a lot; common practice in Asian manufacturing.

Comment

The lack of adjustment for height on the stand is a complete turn off for me, rotation is a plus and it does neither.

Comment

Working...
                      X