Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG's 4K FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync Display For Just $219 USD

Phoronix: LG's 4K FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync Display For Just $219 USD

Now that the Radeon FreeSync support is in good standing with Linux 5.0+ and Mesa 19.0+ (or Mesa 19.1+ for RADV Vulkan support) as well as NVIDIA offering G-SYNC Compatible Linux support, if you have been desiring a FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync display but are on a limited budget, LG has an interesting 24-inch contender... A 4K FreeSync-supported display for just $219 USD?!?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This has nothing to do with the article. Just a reflection on my monitor wish-list.
    A lot of monitors seem to tick a lot of boxes for people in general.
    But I'm still waiting for real black levels. Not a single monitor seem to tick that box for me.
    Whatever happened to the PC monitor OLED revolution?
    Atleast some options that aren't tagged with "start-selling-your-organs" prices?

Comment

2.5K / 144 Hz > 4K / 60 Hz. Especially at such screen size as 24". You don't need 4K at such size for gaming - you won't even see any difference. But you'll see one for refresh rate.
      Last edited by shmerl; 01 May 2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, probably not something I could use because it has that stupid design where the connectors come straight out the back right beside the VESA mount.

That'd conflict with the horizontal 2x4 that all three of my monitors hang from. (I added a homebuilt monitor arm to my homebuilt desk using three $7 mounting plates off eBay and, at best, it'd be a pain to source right-angle adapters/cables and then install a hunk of 2x4 below the monitor mount as a spacer.)

Comment

That's a really good price. I have a 28" 4k monitor, and honestly it's too small. I can't see anything unless I mess around with the DPI settings. Perhaps that's a problem of my old eyes rather than the screen. For a 24" 4k screen, I would just scale everything 2x (the DPI settings in X), but not all software plays nice with scaling.

Comment

Wow that is actually a very good price for what you're getting. I'd prefer a larger display than that but otherwise it seems nice for what you're getting.

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            Unfortunately, probably not something I could use because it has that stupid design where the connectors come straight out the back right beside the VESA mount.
            I thought the same thing - it is a pretty stupid design, but, you can get cords with right-angle bends.

Comment

>4k on a 24" monitor
              Good look with the shi* Windows and Linux scalling.

Comment

Yeah, 4k 24" is a weird combination.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I thought the same thing - it is a pretty stupid design, but, you can get cords with right-angle bends.
                  Note that my comment also said "and, at best, it'd be a pain to source right-angle adapters/cables and then install a hunk of 2x4 below the monitor mount as a spacer."

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    2.5K / 144 Hz > 4K / 60 Hz. Especially at such screen size as 24". You don't need 4K at such size for gaming - you won't even see any difference. But you'll see one for refresh rate.
                    For games, I consider 2K ultrawide with freesync to be the highest resolution one needs. After that we need really expensive hardware with diminishing returns.

For text and photo editing, 4K all the way since we don't need expensive GPUs to do those tasks at that resolution.

Comment

Working...
                    X