Trying Out The Radeon VII On Ubuntu 19.04 As Well As Linux 5.1 + Mesa 19.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aldieb View Post
    I have had random hangs with my Radon VII but nothing as reproducible as in the article. The issue seems to have gone or got much better after I completely removed ROCm from the system. Might be worth a try for anyone who got similar problems and have ROCm installed.
    Probably too late now, but it would be informative to know whether it was the ROC kernel driver (which is based on GFX driver code but not tested much with GFX) or the ROC userspace that made the difference. I would be very surprised if the userspace had any effect.

These days you can run ROC userspace on a recent upstream kernel.
    Last edited by bridgman; 11 April 2019, 08:24 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

We really need AMD to give us great GPU with open drivers.

We don't need any other pressure than the one that would make NVidia opening drivers.

You can't expect AMD to put pressure on NVidia if you don't buy AMD.

AMD is a GPU maker you can buy GPU from, not a way to make you buy more NVidia.
      Well...I guess we just have to agree to disagree(for the most part) !

I´ m not out to buy nvidia specifically...I´ ll go where the performance and stability takes me. I really don´ t care who the manufacturer is.
      As long as as it performs the way I want and being stable while doing it I´ m a happy camper.
      But I do firmly believe that competition in the market is good for both us endusers and pushing further development of both hardware and software.
      Last edited by mrazster; 12 April 2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
        debianxfce and blackiwid needs to shut up, seriously.

And no, it's not hardware issue, because it works with llvmpipe.
        Pretending the driver is perfect won't make anything better, if you can't help then don't bring anything up.
        Nobody in here pretends that the driver is perfect. But making bug reports often gets the problem fixed.

I haven't seen any post from you with more info on what your problem actually is.
        The only error message that i have seen is :
        kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring sdma0 timeout. How about posting in the gfx part of the forum, and see if anyone can help you. I've been helped previously when I had problems.
        The error message you post is actually very broad, and anyone trying to help would need more info on system, when this occurs etc. etc.
        I ve seen some kernel fixes for same error in the kernel and freedesktop list. So using a new kernel as debianxfce suggests might be a good idea.
        Also there exsist some problem with IOMMU and R5 2400g I believe, might be due to different "bios addressing" from different vendors. So often it can be useful to disable it. (if anyone more knowledgeable than me says otherwise, then listen to them.) LLVMpipe as someone said in here is emulating gfx. so that doesn't show anything else than that the cpu part of the R5 works.

Kind regards Brut.
        Last edited by Brutalix; 12 April 2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Rocking Sabayon Linux here. Radeon VII works great for me. 4.20 kernel causes crashing in games so I just pulled the DEV kernel (5.1) and it works great now. I have a guide if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
            Unsurprising. My Vega 64 is unstable on Arch Linux while gaming as well. CS:GO and Quake Champions can typically produce a full system lockup requiring a hard reset.
            You're not alone. I don't think it's going to get any better.
            I had a Vega64 (and tried a Vega56) for just under a year, and there were existing major bugs during that entire time, which never got fixed. I bought it because of all the positive press amd has been getting here on phoronix, despite the GTX1080 being cheaper, because I wanted the opensource drivers. I had major issues trying to run:
            - Cemu (wiiU emulator) - full system lock
            - Yuzu (Switch emulator) - full system lock
            - rpcs3 (ps3 emulator) - gfx artefacts when upscaling to 4k
            - Sonic and All Stars Racing (steam play) - crashes

Other community members had issues with:
            - Dophin (some games) - full system lock
            - Many dxvk titles.

These affect VegaM, RX Vega and Radeon7 gpus. Some of them (rpcs3 and yuzu) affect Polaris too.

The Vega64 is the worst hardware purchase decision I've ever made, wasting hundreds of dollars and tens of hours. I wish I'd just bought at GTX1080 at the time, which was slightly cheaper. I would have been able to buy a smaller PSU as well.
            This was a very big deal for me (because I'm very pro opensource), but I eventually sold the Vega for a massive loss and got an RTX2080. Everything works brilliantly on Linux now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYoshiGuy View Post

You're not alone. I don't think it's going to get any better.
              I had a Vega64 (and tried a Vega56) for just under a year, and there were existing major bugs during that entire time, which never got fixed. I bought it because of all the positive press amd has been getting here on phoronix, despite the GTX1080 being cheaper, because I wanted the opensource drivers. I had major issues trying to run:
              - Cemu (wiiU emulator) - full system lock
              - Yuzu (Switch emulator) - full system lock
              - rpcs3 (ps3 emulator) - gfx artefacts when upscaling to 4k
              - Sonic and All Stars Racing (steam play) - crashes

Other community members had issues with:
              - Dophin (some games) - full system lock
              - Many dxvk titles.

These affect VegaM, RX Vega and Radeon7 gpus. Some of them (rpcs3 and yuzu) affect Polaris too.

The Vega64 is the worst hardware purchase decision I've ever made, wasting hundreds of dollars and tens of hours. I wish I'd just bought at GTX1080 at the time, which was slightly cheaper. I would have been able to buy a smaller PSU as well.
              This was a very big deal for me (because I'm very pro opensource), but I eventually sold the Vega for a massive loss and got an RTX2080. Everything works brilliantly on Linux now.
              It's a shame. I used to have an R9-280, which worked perfectly. I feel like the amdgpu.dc code path just isn't mature. I actually RMA'd my Vega 64 about 2 weeks ago, and I continue to have these issues - guess it was the drivers all along. Works fine on Windows.

Comment

I use the Radeon VII on Antergos... It was stable at first but issues similar to the ones phoronix was having started appearing on the 5.1 kernel. This is weird, as it works fine in Windows.

Comment

Working...
                X