Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on new GPU (and motherboard)

Hi,

My decade-old machine is showing signs of age and I am seeking advise for a new build. My goals are:
    - dual boot LInux Mint / Win 10
    - use fairly decent/new parts to maximize longevity of the build (hopefully 10 years like my previous one)
    - powerful CPU such as AMD Rizen 7 2700x
    - decent GPU (I don't do gaming, mostly programming and a bit of number CPU-based number crunching at time) but I am planning at buy a ultra-wide screen in the future

Initially, I planned on getting a Asus - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card, but the ASUS guy I chatted with told me that ASUS did not support this card for linux OS. Can you suggest an alternative in the $150-200 range?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

ASUS doesn't support anything on Linux. You can't go by that.

Comment

rbmorse

OK. What is the correct approach?

Comment

Thanks debianxfce

Would you recommend an Asus - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ROG STRIX or an Asus - Radeon RX 580 8 GB AREZ STRIX?

Comment

debianxfce

Very useful insight.
          Price differences is $40, which is significant on the basis of the card alone... but might not be on the basis of the overall build.

Comment

debianxfce

I saw a lot of benchmarks on this site for the Ryzen 2700x using the ASUS crosshair Vii motherboard... It seems a bit overkill for my usage and I was wondering what your opinion would be about using the prior generation (ASUS crosshair VI). I did not find any reference on the web that would suggest that this prior generation motherboard would support a linux OS.
            Last edited by pomchip; 05 April 2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback

I'll post again when my build is complete.

Comment

I ended up buying an ASUS PRIME X470-PRO to work with my Ryzen 2700X and an ASUS Expedition RX-570 8GB. Apart for a little mix-up on my part with my DDR4, everything went during system build and OS installation.

Thanks debianxfce for your advises.

Comment

Working...
                X