Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

117 Gaming Benchmarks With NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti / RTX 2060 vs. AMD RX 590 / RX Vega 56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 117 Gaming Benchmarks With NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti / RTX 2060 vs. AMD RX 590 / RX Vega 56

Phoronix: 117 Gaming Benchmarks With NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti / RTX 2060 vs. AMD RX 590 / RX Vega 56

While there were many Linux gaming benchmarks within our recent GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Linux review, there were requests for 1080p tests and some other benchmarks... For honoring those requests, with some of them being made by our premium supporters, here are 117 graphics benchmarks tested not only on the GTX 1660 Ti but also the RTX 2060 and on the AMD side was the Radeon RX 590 and RX Vega 56 for an interesting mid-range graphics card comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow 117 benchmarks. Nice.
    Th 590 is looking good, but Vega 56 should be a little bit better. I wonder what s missing.

Comment

btw...not sure if this has been done on linux recently - is there any investigation on how cpu heavy the Drivers are compared against each other. AMDVLK, RADV ; Nvidia, nouveau etc?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        btw...not sure if this has been done on linux recently - is there any investigation on how cpu heavy the Drivers are compared against each other. AMDVLK, RADV ; Nvidia, nouveau etc?
        Sometimes, there are CPU usage charts. Unfortunately, I doubt their usefulness in determining CPU bottlenecking since their sampling rate appears to be relatively small. This means, you get some kind of average CPU usage over the last sample. However, a very short peak in CPU usage to 100% of a single core for a few microseconds is the only time when a better performing CPU would help. Otherwise you'd have enough computational reserves. And even if it only lasts a few microseconds, it can be significant to the frame rate (60fps = 16us per frame in total). Do detect such events, the CPU usage graphs appear to coarse to me.

Comment

Nice work by the AMD team! The performance is pretty competitive when compared to the NVIDIA GPUs.

Comment

Thank you Michael.

I wsih I was employed, so I could buy one of those cards and ttip you too!

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              Nice work by the AMD team! The performance is pretty competitive when compared to the NVIDIA GPUs.
              Just a few years ago, it was inconceivable that an open source GPU driver would perform on par or better than a proprietary one. This is a great time to be an AMD Linux gamer, for sure!

Comment

torsionbar28 - Well Intel GPU driver was quite good. The main problem was that the hardware wasn't high performance, they just made iGPUs. With the upcoming Intel Xe cards, we can see how good the Intel driver stack really is, against other drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Just a few years ago, it was inconceivable that an open source GPU driver would perform on par or better than a proprietary one. This is a great time to be an AMD Linux gamer, for sure!
                  Yep, at the time I used to argue with lots of people on here that we should not settle for sub par performance on open source software just because it is open source.
                  Generally the driver that has the most amount of quality manhours put into it will perform better, regardless of whether it is open source or closed. But people had a different perception, they thought that the Nvidia performance is out of reach.

When I purchased my R9 290 like 4 years ago it was really bad on Linux. Open source was too slow for gaming and proprietary had bad 2d performance issues on the desktop. Now it really rocks on MESA although I still have to mess with the kernel to force it to use the newer kernel driver.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                    And even if it only lasts a few microseconds, it can be significant to the frame rate (60fps = 16us per frame in total).
                    60 fps is 16 milliseconds, not microseconds.

Comment

Working...
                    X