Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon VII Linux Benchmarks - Powerful Open-Source Graphics For Compute & Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon VII Linux Benchmarks - Powerful Open-Source Graphics For Compute & Gaming

Phoronix: AMD Radeon VII Linux Benchmarks - Powerful Open-Source Graphics For Compute & Gaming

Today we can finally reveal the Linux performance details for the AMD Radeon VII graphics card... Especially if you are an open-source driver fan, it's quite a treat thanks to having fully open-source and fairly mature driver support, but can this $699 USD graphics card dance with the likes of the GeForce RTX 2080? Here is our initial look at the Radeon VII performance on Linux using fifteen different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards for both OpenCL compute and Vulkan/OpenGL gaming on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is... surprisingly great! Even the power efficiency is a nice surprise.

I's still too much power usage for my small PC, I'm eagerly awaiting a replacement for my RX480. Around 150W is pretty much the limit of the system.

Comment

These benchmarks are amazing! I've been expecting them to be a lot worse frankly, boy am I glad I was wrong. Now if this card was $100 cheaper than the RTX 2080 then it would be easily the winner. We're going to pay more for the 16GB HBM2 which, like the RTX, is probably not going to be utilized by modern games, even with heavy texture packs.

Comment

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a very complete article. Thank you very much for your work Michael, and kudos to AMD who's now working nicely with the Linux ecosystem.

Comment

Not that impressed to be frank, Glad I waited .

Comment

I expected some performance gains and a decent efficiency gain, but this is considerably better than what I expected and it looks like AMD really wasn't being overly optimistic when talking up the Vega 20 as a competitor to the RTX 2080. Looks like I need to eat some humble pie with my skepticism on this one.

Still, I hope the pretty constrained supply news aren't as bad the people over at overclockers.co.uk have described it. Their allotment of 76 units is supposedly half of the total UK allotment with Spain and France receiving even smaller allotments of 20 units each. Then again the Vega FE didn't ship with that many units and this looks to be a repeat of that in certain regards.

Comment

Too be honest, I wasn't expecting much from AMD with this Card. I was expecting an filler card to stave till Navi but this is surprisingly good, just makes me more interested in what Navi will bring.

Comment

\o/
                Thanks Michael for the article and thanks to AMD (and all the devs) for this amazing looking piece of hardware!

Comment

It's not as bad as I was expecting, and on Windows it's a decent choice if you're using the compute facilities, but otherwise it's still not a viable 2080 competitor.

What I really need to know is if it supports seamless PCI passthrough under Linux (without the need for a hard reboot after re-assigning the GPU between VMs), and better still if it supports SR-IOV/MxGPU (probably not, might affect MI50 sales). That would mean I could theoretically reduce the number of graphics cards in my Xen system to one, depending on how the resources are split (I'd want very few resources on one virtual GPU, and most of them on another).

MxGPU would be the one thing for me that would make this viable (and to be clear : that means I can run Windows and non Windows OS at the same time in separate VMs, using the same physical card, on different displays, all with 3D rendering)

For gaming, though, yeah it's nice to have a completely open source solution if you're Linux but if you offer less speed, higher power, and fewer features than the competitor the price needs to be considerably cheaper. At the very least this may shake up the graphics market pricing.

Comment

It's a nice performance increase over the Vega64, but not enough to make me go out and get chase one down. The vega64 will just have to do for another year

Comment

Working...
                    X