Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon VII Linux Benchmarks - Powerful Open-Source Graphics For Compute & Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m actually impressed that AMD has a very competitive product! Further with this being launch day testing on fresh drivers we could potentially see improvements down the road.

Micheal
    The OpenCL numbers are a surprise, especially considering release day drivers. In my mind this warrants further focused testing for people concerned with compute performance. Part of that focus should be reliability testing and even some attempts at underclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by IvantheDugtrio View Post
      Wonder if overclocking/undercooking has been tried in Linux. Would be nice to have a tool like Wattman in Linux.
      WattmanGTK - but it needs more work. It creates a script you have to apply yourself, unfortunately the script doesn't seem to work with Vega10/20 yet. So I added my own values that can be edited manually. So yes you can overclock/undervolt but it's a bit fiddly.

Here's the incomplete script WattmanGTK currently spits out for my Vega56
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      echo "manual" > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:09:00.0/0000:0a:00.0/0000:0b:00.0/power_dpm_force_performance_level
      echo 247000000 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/power1_cap
      Here's what I added:
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      echo "manual" > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:09:00.0/0000:0a:00.0/0000:0b:00.0/power_dpm_force_performance_level

echo "s 0 852 800" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "s 1 991 900" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "s 2 1138 950" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "s 3 1269 1000" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "s 4 1312 1050" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "s 5 1474 1100" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "s 6 1538 1150" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "s 7 1590 1200" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage

echo "m 0 167 800" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "m 1 500 800" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "m 2 700 900" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
      echo "m 3 800 950" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage

echo 247000000 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/power1_cap
      Last edited by LeJimster; 07 February 2019, 03:17 PM. Reason: Add Vega56 overclock values

Comment

Looking at the numbers, is it just me or is SuperTuxKart a terribly bad optimized game? Only 70 FPS at 4K for a game with 2005-ish era graphics? Nevertheless a nice showing by AMD.

Comment

It's good to see the performance increasing every time. Unfortunately the power usage is still very high, which results in more heat too. I'd like them to battle this issue next time

Comment

Well Done to AMD, although a bit power hungry this is still an impressive feat. One has to keep in mind this company doesn't have the same deep pockets as Intel or Nvidia and yet it's able to stay competitive with both of them.

Comment

To think only a few years ago the open source graphics stack was so slow and buggy. Nowadays it trades blows with NVIDIA's proprietary drivers and it outperforms it in many applications.

Btw, Michael, thanks a lot for your awesome work. It makes me happy to support your work by being a premium subscriber.

Comment

Good to know it meets AMD's claims. I don't think I can really justify replacing my 1080 Ti just in the name of better open source support though. Here's hoping Navi SKU will beat out the 1080 To by a respectable margin sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  Looking at the numbers, is it just me or is SuperTuxKart a terribly bad optimized game? Only 70 FPS at 4K for a game with 2005-ish era graphics? Nevertheless a nice showing by AMD.
                  I heard that the graphics engine has been souped up, but the graphics themselves haven't really been. That is, SuperTuxKart is now capable of pushing much better graphics, but no better graphics have been created for it to push. So that may be part of the problem.

Comment

Will be interested to see if; like the Vega56, Vega64 and the Vega APUs, this card will also hard-lock the system when trying to run console emulators.

Comment

Some nice results, a real shame no board partner cards are coming because the PCB of the RAD7 can certainly be shrunk down to a mini size to fit in a ITX system much like what happens with NVIDIA's cards.

Hehe, its even a little more efficient then my 1080TI Mini card, oh how I want a Rad7 MINI card now... if only AIB existed for this launch... sad
                      Last edited by theriddick; 07 February 2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X