No announcement yet.

NVIDIA vs. Radeon Linux 5.0 + Mesa 19.0 Drivers - 14-Way Gaming GPU Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA vs. Radeon Linux 5.0 + Mesa 19.0 Drivers - 14-Way Gaming GPU Comparison

Phoronix: NVIDIA vs. Radeon Linux 5.0 + Mesa 19.0 Drivers - 14-Way Gaming GPU Comparison

As is always the case at Phoronix ahead of any major graphics card launch, it means re-testing the collection of past graphics cards for comparison in order to have the newest data on the entire line-up with the very latest GPU drivers, operating system updates, and any game updates. For those curious what the very latest Linux gaming performance is looking like at the end of January, here are benchmarks of the NVIDIA Pascal and Turing graphics cards on their 415.27 latest driver release up against the Linux 5.0 Git kernel paired with the near-feature-frozen Mesa 19.0 built with the AMDGPU LLVM 9.0 back-end. These 14 graphics cards on the latest software stack was put through more than three dozen gaming tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it just me, or has the red team seen some serious performance increases in several benchmarks? Where did that come from all of a sudden? LLVM9?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The RX Vega 56 meanwhile is aligned with the GTX 1060
      What?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        Is it just me, or has the red team seen some serious performance increases in several benchmarks? Where did that come from all of a sudden? LLVM9?
        I thought the same!

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I thought the same!
          Yea, like the Unigine Superposition benchmark at the end of the article for example. AMD used to do badly in that IIRC, and now Vega 64 is on par with the 1080ti? What!? That's a real shocker to me

Comment

Seems like Vega is finally starting to perform more like it does on windows and has fixed whatever was holding it back before.

I suspect it's kernel fixes rather than LLVM9, but that's just a wild guess on my part.

Comment

Good to see Vega 56 being very competitive and often even better than GTX 1070. amdgpu / radeonsi / radv have improved well!

Comment

The harmonic mean chart is nice. In future tests, I'd be interested to see the same thing but for performance-per-watt and performance-per-dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  The harmonic mean chart is nice. In future tests, I'd be interested to see the same thing but for performance-per-watt and performance-per-dollar.
                  Per watt and per dollar metrics will be in the VII review.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

RadeonSI has always been a little faster than Vulkan, but Michael doesn't test it as much as Vulkan. I'm always looking forward to some Mad Max OpenGL benchmarks of RadeonSI vs NVIDIA, where we know that RadeonSI is much faster than RADV.

Comment

Working...
                    X