Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XGI Display Driver Finally On The Linux Kernel Chopping Block

Phoronix: XGI Display Driver Finally On The Linux Kernel Chopping Block

XGI Tech, the nearly two decade old spin off from SiS that was short-lived and once aimed to be a competitor to ATI and NVIDIA, still has a Linux driver within the mainline kernel. But this frame-buffer driver is slated to soon be removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate to see this, I know for sanity it's necessary but I'm sure a lot of these are still in use.

Comment

Originally posted by rooted View Post
      I hate to see this, I know for sanity it's necessary but I'm sure a lot of these are still in use.
      Afaik the only ones that might matter are the ones embedded in older server boards where they are used by the IPMI (lights-out management) to redirect the screen over internet.

Anything else is pretty much obsolete, but I'm sure that all 10-20 users worldwide will come here in this thread to whine and complain.

Comment

I guess, but hardware is heavily recycled/repurposed in less fortunate countries so I'm guessing there will be more than 10-20 users.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Afaik the only ones that might matter are the ones embedded in older server boards where they are used by the IPMI (lights-out management) to redirect the screen over internet.

Anything else is pretty much obsolete, but I'm sure that all 10-20 users worldwide will come here in this thread to whine and complain.
          Well... its was really common in servers, and considering there is probably alot of Core 2 Quad era server's out there running.....

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Well... its was really common in servers, and considering there is probably alot of Core 2 Quad era server's out there running.....
            Not many of them will upgrade to 5.1 kernel though...:-) So, this is all moot

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              I don't see that much servers from 2008-ish anymore. They are mostly decommissioned and on sale.

Overall, I'm seeing servers have around a decade of service life, once they are past that they are replaced. The ones that aren't usually don't receive any update at all anyway (they are left as-is after they were first installed until they break).

Guess what? We are talking of machines that have around 10 years of service.

That said, I'm sure that server distros that care can keep this driver in their own kernel patches.

Comment

While I'm sad to see Linux lose support for something, and would rather see a DRM-based driver get added for them, I'm not too concerned.

I suspect that any machine with one of these cards, that's still running, is A. horribly power inefficient and B. unlikely to update the kernel anywhere near something current.

Comment

Originally posted by zekesonxx View Post
                  While I'm sad to see Linux lose support for something, and would rather see a DRM-based driver get added for them, I'm not too concerned.

I suspect that any machine with one of these cards, that's still running, is A. horribly power inefficient and B. unlikely to update the kernel anywhere near something current.
                  I've actually argued that with a coworker at one point about his home NAS... well I had a wall meter and let him borrow it turns out it wasn't nearly the hog he thought. Idle power consumption hasn't changed that much over the years, if the machine is fast enough to do the job... then it doesn't really need to be upgraded.

Comment

I always hate to see support being removed for any device (old, unmaintained, unpopular etc) from Linux xorg gcc or just about any foss software, I would like to see this stuff sticking around forever. They could demote the driver/code to staging folder within Linux source code, couldn't they? They don't have to throw it out? At least git keeps history of code, so there's possibility of reviving it later.

Comment

Working...
                    X