Lczero Neural Network Chess Benchmarks With OpenCL Radeon vs. NVIDIA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lczero Neural Network Chess Benchmarks With OpenCL Radeon vs. NVIDIA

Phoronix: Lczero Neural Network Chess Benchmarks With OpenCL Radeon vs. NVIDIA

Yesterday I posted a number of Lczero chess engine benchmarks on NVIDIA GPUs using its OpenCL back-end as well as its CUDA+cuDNN back-end, which offered massive performance gains compared to CL on the many tested NVIDIA GPUs. With the CUDA+cuDNN code performing so much better than OpenCL, some wondered whether NVIDIA was intentionally gimping their OpenCL performance. Well, here are results side-by-side now with Radeon GPUs on OpenCL...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Radeon-NVIDIA

the RX Vega 64 is slower than RX 590
    this code must be a masterpiece^^

Comment

And rocm2 beeing slow, this is with a vega56 and the amdgpu-pro opencl backend:
      https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...SK-VEGA5685245
      Last edited by ObiWan; 01-15-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

That's a factor two. Rocm opencl really needs some tuning.

Comment

For CPU backend, I think you can link to intel mkl-dnn lib (instead of OpenBLAS) to get much better performance.
          Search for mkl-dnn in github
          Also, I assume you are already running it with enough no. of threads (e.g: --threads=32).

Comment

Whoever wrote their OpenCL stack should be shot. It reminds me of how piss poor Blender's monolithic stack was before AMD rewrote it into a split stack and threaded it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
              And rocm2 beeing slow, this is with a vega56 and the amdgpu-pro opencl backend:
              https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...SK-VEGA5685245
              It isn't just ROCm. Most of these slowness comes from the client's poor coding and knowledge of OpenCL as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

It isn't just ROCm. Most of these slowness comes from the client's poor coding and knowledge of OpenCL as well.
                Additionally I don't even think it is a good idea to use OpenCL directly rather than building the AI engine on top of pytorch/tensorflow.
                Last edited by zxy_thf; 01-15-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  Additionally I don't even think it is a good idea to use OpenCL directly rather than building the AI engine on top of pytorch/tensorflow.
                  I thought neither TensorFlow nor PyTorch worked with OpenCL?

Comment

Thanks, very interesting test!
                    So getting a 2060 is now probably the way to go to get a really strong chess engine. lczero just got the second place at the TCEC computer chess tournament, behind stockfish.
                    But with a 2060 you would need to get quite some expensive hardware to make Stockfish a competitor. Would need to find some numbers for stockfish speed depending on the number of cores, but currently at a ratio of 1:1000 in nodes per second lczero is most likely stronger than stockfish. That being said stockfish would be still very useful for deep tactical analysis problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X