Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1080p/1440p Linux Gaming Performance For Radeon RX 590/Vega & NVIDIA 1060/1070/1080/2060/2070

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cybertraveler
    replied
    bridgman - Can you come up with a nice naming convention for AMD consumer GPU products and suggest it to the team that handle naming. The current system hurts my brain.

You could even do something like AMD Radeon [Logical Numbering System] [Bullshit Marketing name]

[Logical Numbering System] could be something like NVIDIA do where bigger numbers usually imply superior products.

[Bullshit Marketing name] could be whatever buzzword is well known in the mind of uninformed people. e.g. "HD" or "HDR" or "4K" or "Vega" or "RAZMATAZ".

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by xiando View Post
    Why not call it Instinct MI50 ReBrandeoned? https://www.amd.com/en/products/prof.../instinct-mi50
    because that is, in fact, exactly what it is: another Rebrandeon.
    I don't think you can call it a rebrand when it's announced at around the same time as the thing you claim we are rebranding
    Last edited by bridgman; 12 January 2019, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• haagch
    replied
    Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
    This is a kernel regression in 5.0-rc: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/109234
    The relevant developers are aware, it'll be fixed by 5.0 final.
    Thanks for pointing it out, I'll be downgrading to 4.20 for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by haagch View Post
    [...] random kernel bugs:
    [...]
    This is a kernel regression in 5.0-rc: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/109234

The relevant developers are aware, it'll be fixed by 5.0 final.

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    I seem to remember Lisa Su just calling it Radeon 7 at the event.
    Why not call it Instinct MI50 ReBrandeoned? https://www.amd.com/en/products/prof.../instinct-mi50
    because that is, in fact, exactly what it is: another Rebrandeon. Like the RX 480, 580, 590.. but this time it's a datacenter card - which is why it has 30% more gaming performance and 80% more compute performance. That's great if you're running blender all day or a crypto miner (though that bubble's burst), it's not that great if you are going to use it to play games.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Michael
    On the Radeon side was the latest Mesa 19.0-devel state built against LLVM 8.0 SVN via the Padoka PPA as of this week
    I can understand that you want to show the maximum potential of each card, but I want to point that this is not what the average user will experience. If you want to be realistic use the latest driver the OS or the manufacturer provides in an officiall manner. You and all of us have to push this kind of logic if we ever want Linux become mainstream. No end user compilations, no special flags, no 3rd party custom builds, I would even go as far to say no terminal. Test what your parents can install through official downloads and point and click. If the drivers in the OS are months old this is a problem that the manufacturer will have to find a way to solve.
    Last edited by zoomblab; 12 January 2019, 06:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Psg80
    replied
    It would be cool to post from time to time some cpu/graphic hardware test stressed under linux version of blender (cycles, EEVEE engines), blender benchmark or luxmark (luxcorerender). Recently people asks me about the optimal equipment they want to buy and use in linux in blender for arch and product design visualisations and animations. Usually it's about to go safe way and choose nVidia/Intel but Blender supports AMD's openCL and Radeon so maybe this would be a better choice (less money spent with same performance achieved). There's also upcoming linux version of nVidia Optix AI driven denoiser addon for Blender...interesting if AMD/ATI offers similar thing? I know there's already Render dedicated to Radeon cards individually.

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied
    Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post

VII does stand for Vega II.
    I seem to remember Lisa Su just calling it Radeon 7 at the event.

Leave a comment:

• deppman
    replied
    Michael I figured it might be a typo. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by deppman View Post
    Michael
    Curious why you did this: "On the NVIDIA driver side was the 395.25 driver atop the Linux 4.20 kernel". The latest driver is Nvidia 415.25. My guess is this wasn't compatible with the kernel, but shouldn't it be used instead? I expect the NV results may have been a bit better especially on the RTX cards with the latest driver.
    415.25 was used, as shown in the system table (and the RTX cards not even working pre-415). It was a typo, no idea how 395 came out, but yeah at least the tables are always correct. Thanks for mentioning it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X