Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1080p/1440p Linux Gaming Performance For Radeon RX 590/Vega & NVIDIA 1060/1070/1080/2060/2070

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    Also: why is there a zero on the end of all these NVIDIA product numbers? Why isn't that used? If it's not used, why don't they drop down all the numbers by one power. e.g. The NVIDIA 1070 should just be the NVIDIA 107. Obviously not now, but they should have started out like that.
    Because the marketing department identified those specific numbers as being "cool" sounding. Yes, it's lame, but that's how marketing works. Products where the engineers devise the product names are no better. For example, my Supermicro motherboard has a super bad-ass trendy name, don't you think? X10SRH-CLN4F.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 January 2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

[USER="8184"]You could even do something like AMD Radeon [Logical Numbering System] [Bullshit Marketing name]

[Logical Numbering System] could be something like NVIDIA do where bigger numbers usually imply superior products.

[Bullshit Marketing name] could be whatever buzzword is well known in the mind of uninformed people. e.g. "HD" or "HDR" or "4K" or "Vega" or "RAZMATAZ".

Need to update it for more recent products but user ID seems to have stopped working...
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Need to update it for more recent products but user ID seems to have stopped working...
        Thanks. As usual, the engineering names & codes make a lot more sense. However, I personally still prefer numbers to name themes. Shame it went from RXXX to place names.

Comment

However, I personally still prefer numbers to name themes. Shame it went from RXXX to place names.
          Don't know if it helps, but it more recently went from place names to stars
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Don't know if it helps, but it more recently went from place names to stars
            Ha ha. Are you Sirius?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              Michael

I can understand that you want to show the maximum potential of each card, but I want to point that this is not what the average user will experience. If you want to be realistic use the latest driver the OS or the manufacturer provides in an officiall manner. You and all of us have to push this kind of logic if we ever want Linux become mainstream. No end user compilations, no special flags, no 3rd party custom builds, I would even go as far to say no terminal. Test what your parents can install through official downloads and point and click. If the drivers in the OS are months old this is a problem that the manufacturer will have to find a way to solve.
              Except that no gamer, even windows, would do that. I guess if your benchmarking how your grandma who doesn't play would play.... But then you have to ask yourself why are you wasting your own time.....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Except that no gamer, even windows, would do that. I guess if your benchmarking how your grandma who doesn't play would play.... But then you have to ask yourself why are you wasting your own time.....
                You are very wrong and I will give you an example. My brother is a casual gamer. He is nothing like me, he doesn't know Linux. Very recently he upgraded his graphics card to an RTX to enjoy some games. All he had to do was 1. install the card, 2. downloaded the official drivers from Nvidia for the OS he already had installed (very important) 3. install the drivers through a point and click interface 4. enjoy his new thing. Now, if I had to sell him the Linux experience, and I have tried, there is no way he would mess with things like building or installing anything that is not official and can be done through a GUI. Development branches what? Padoka repository? Who is this guy anyway? Not to mention the absurd idea of waiting months and updating the whole OS just for a driver update. With all respect, I write this to to emphasize what will have to be done if we aspire to ever get this platform out of the niche and in to the mainstream. Many steps have been done, first and foremost AMD and NVidia actively supporting Linux in their own way (open or closed doesn't matter). However and especially the AMD experience is not there yet, it needs more work than just pushing source code. AMD people should find solutions that a simple user can use.
                Last edited by zoomblab; 16 January 2019, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

You are very wrong and I will give you an example. My brother is a casual gamer. He is nothing like me, he doesn't know Linux. Very recently he upgraded his graphics card to an RTX to enjoy some games. All he had to do was 1. install the card, 2. downloaded the official drivers from Nvidia for the OS he already had installed (very important) 3. install the drivers through a point and click interface 4. enjoy his new thing. Now, if I had to sell him the Linux experience, and I have tried, there is no way he would mess with things like building or installing anything that is not official and can be done through a GUI. Development branches what? Padoka repository? Who is this guy anyway? Not to mention the absurd idea of waiting months and updating the whole OS just for a driver update. With all respect, I write this to to emphasize what will have to be done if we aspire to ever get this platform out of the niche and in to the mainstream. Many steps have been done, first and foremost AMD and NVidia actively supporting Linux in their own way (open or closed doesn't matter). However and especially the AMD experience is not there yet, it needs more work than just pushing source code. AMD people should find solutions that a simple user can use.
                  What makes you think that things like installing updated drivers on linux can't be done through a point and click UI?

That's what the package managers are there for. Same as the windows installers.

The command line stuff is just quick shortcuts for advanced users, since a copy/paste is easier to send someone than a whole bunch of text and images about what they need to click on.

Comment

Working...
                  X