No announcement yet.

The Expected Linux Driver State For The Radeon VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Vega VII has planned launch day support. I'm not sure if the codename/ID's are internal only though, so I probably can't say anything other than that.

Comment

I think VII is used as a pipe cleaner for 7nm. To get the kinks out before Zen 2 and Navi goes into full production.
      Still the price could be better. Maybe 550$.
      I don t care about ray tracing now because it s just shadows and stuff and not lighting but still it s a selling point.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
        I too have a vega fe with a waterblock... This card will probably not be compatible with it due to the additional hbm stacks, but let's wait and see
        That's an unfounded assumption... the driver doesn't care how the memory is setup that's a detail left to the hardware memory controller... That said the driver probably will need to be optimised to take full advantage of it but it should just work.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
          That's an unfounded assumption... the driver doesn't care how the memory is setup that's a detail left to the hardware memory controller... That said the driver probably will need to be optimised to take full advantage of it but it should just work.
          I think that was about the waterblock.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Surprise announcement? Here I thought it was kind of obvious with the additional Vega IDs... To me at least the only real surprise was that they were just releasing a single card and not doing a full on refresh akin to when they refreshed the RX 400-series as the 500-series built on an improved process node. Then again it could be that they're approaching this the same way they did with the initial Vega launch where they first released the Vega FE as the all-round card for both gaming and workstation use before releasing variants of it as the Vega 56, 64, Radeon Pro WX 9100, WX 8100 and Pro SSG.

As for why they're just releasing a single Vega FE-esque card, my guess would be that like with the Vega FE, they're constrained on the production side (probably with the big 7nm chips).
            These aren't FE cards. They're MI50 cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

I think that was about the waterblock.
              Yeah might be... that would probably be a lost investment indeed if it were a full coverage one.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                MI50 has the exact same configuration except the 32GB HBM2
                Instinct M150 has 16GB of RAM. That is ECC but we don't know if the VII will have the same.

The VII will have display outputs which the Instinct series lacks.

Comment

really hope memory prices drop by end of this year, their wreaking havoc with pc hardware prices...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Except you know anyone with a decent job... or that lives with their parents and has disposable income even with a crappy job.

I have a Vega FE so will certainly skip this card, maybe skip Navi too and wait for Arcturus. Upgrading every GEN is silly.
                    What made you buy the Vega FE? (hopefully you don't mind sharing)

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

What made you buy the Vega FE? (hopefully you don't mind sharing)
                      I had an RX480 Nitro+ and sold it high and bought the Vega FE when it was about at it's lowest price...

Comment

Working...
                      X