Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20-Way AMD / NVIDIA Linux Gaming Benchmarks For The 2018 Holidays

Phoronix: 20-Way AMD / NVIDIA Linux Gaming Benchmarks For The 2018 Holidays

If you are hoping to pick-up a new graphics card during the upcoming holiday sales, here is a 20-way NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon Linux gaming benchmark comparison using a wide assortment of GPUs while using the very newest graphics drivers and a variety of OpenGL/Vulkan titles.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27100

Is there any proper write up somewhere for getting amdgpu with a rx 570 (or similar model) up and running on fedora 29 (28 at worst) ?
    https://doc.fedora-fr.org/wiki/Carte...pilotes_libres
    I've followed that and verified by grub boot entries. amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.dpm=1
    For some reason my card is stuck on the 300mhz entry. I've used watman-gtk (hence ppfeaturemask) to verify. I haven't tried to apply any wattman settings as I don't want misconfigure anything further. I'm assuming on default values clock gating should work out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Distrowatch says it uses 4.18 kernel. Use 4.19 or newer.
      I was hoping that wasn't going to be the answer. I thought the only issue was a power regression on 4.18 that was fixed in 4.18.13.
      Guess I'll just wait for the kernel. Everything is working fine apart from the clockgating.

EDIT: Kernel just appeared. Upgrading now . . .

Comment

Distrowatch says it uses 4.18 kernel. Use 4.19 or newer.
        OK so 4.19.2 and sure enough clock gating kicks in. Along with some really strange black vertical line corruption that waxes lyrical up and down the screen. the boot time was most impressive tho. i tried with dc=0 and got very different corruption, like ghosting with specles and green and pink blurs. rebooted back into 4.18 for now. :/ tried the Tearfree and vblank_mode (s). Anyone got ideas?

EDIT: I have 3 screens hooked up and i usually turn on vsync (previously nvidia triple buffered)
        Last edited by bofh80; 11-18-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Too bad the rx590 drivers are broken at the moment

Comment

As for the article itself. Is no one else really interested in the 1080 benchmark?

Comment

Fedora has Mesa git repository, use that. Gnome3 is buggy,resource hog and slow, use lightdm and Xfce. You can tweak Xfce to look and feel like gnome3 or whatever.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/xfce4...-themes-linux/
              I use awesomewm these days. lightdm on login. which also exhibits the same problem. will look into the mesa git. but really prefer to wait for fedora if that's the issue. Any ideas what a *good* version is / will be?

Comment

Summary:
                RadeonSI is doing quite well. Vega does work acceptable with RadeonSI.
                RADV is still not where it should be. Especially Vega seems to underperform with it. Features don't seem to be an issue, performance should be tuned.

For Linux users, RX 580 8GiB is still by far the best GPU for the price. With a higher budget, buying Vega 56 or Vega 64 is completely cool, you should just have a reasonable power supply
                No matter which GPU you choose, go for the quality cards of the manufacturer, not for the budget version.

Edit: When RX 590 will work, using RADV might lead to a point where the performance is not far behind Vega 56. So I really hope RADV improves in the next weeks for Vega GPUs.
                Last edited by oooverclocker; 11-18-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80 View Post

OK so 4.19.2 and sure enough clock gating kicks in. Along with some really strange black vertical line corruption that waxes lyrical up and down the screen. the boot time was most impressive tho. i tried with dc=0 and got very different corruption, like ghosting with specles and green and pink blurs. rebooted back into 4.18 for now. :/ tried the Tearfree and vblank_mode (s). Anyone got ideas?

EDIT: I have 3 screens hooked up and i usually turn on vsync (previously nvidia triple buffered)
                  I have that card. It should work out of the box in any 2018 distro. Have you tested it in any other distro with a flashdrive, just to make sure it is ok?

Comment

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102646 found it. ongoing for quite some time it seems.

[[email protected] ~]# echo manual > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
                    [[email protected] ~]# echo "2" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_mclk
                    [[email protected] ~]# echo "0" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_mclk

And everything works fine.
                    Last edited by bofh80; 11-18-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X