Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Developers Working Towards A Vendor-Neutral Compute Stack To Take On NVIDIA's CUDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrew.corrigan
    replied
    The stack sounds great, with one _major_ exception: SYCL. There is over 10 years of successful development based on CUDA. CUDA is a proven programming model -- it extends C++ in a minimal fashion and there is a ton of code already written in it. Please don't bother with SYCL, it has already failed to achieve anything significant, and is doomed to fail like OpenCL before. Instead, re-target the CUDA support that is already implemented in Clang to target the proposed stack, circumventing nvptx/ptxas,and this will be a massive success.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Their approach is too complicated, I don't think taking a lot of related tools, APIs and solutions and gluing them together will form a solution capable of out-competing CUDA. It will be an over-complicated clusterfuck. I'm probably not the target audience for this solution, but if I ever need a compute solution I pick something as simple as possible, that's rule #1, so it's gonna be either OpenMP or Vulkan's compute capabilities.
    Just a nitpick I guess, you're not wrong, I'm just saying isn't that exactly what open source collaboration is all about? Look at what the linux kernel -is-, look at what GCC is or LLVM or mesa or xorg. I mean all of them are clusterfucks. But they are clusterfucks of purpose driven functionality. And together they provide themost complete sets of functionality available.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Their approach is too complicated, I don't think taking a lot of related tools, APIs and solutions and gluing them together will form a solution capable of out-competing CUDA. It will be an over-complicated clusterfuck. I'm probably not the target audience for this solution, but if I ever need a compute solution I pick something as simple as possible, that's rule #1, so it's gonna be either OpenMP or Vulkan's compute capabilities.
    Last edited by cl333r; 17 November 2018, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Oh this is really fantastic. I always thought this stupid ass situation with Beignet and Clover and Rocm was freakin retarded.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Why? Why not a CUDA to OpenCL/Vulkan translator instead?
    To win the hearts and minds of the developers you need a really good dev environment that makes their life easy. Cuda has this currently - if Red Hat wants to win the hearts and minds they have to go this route. it is a noble cause and I hope that they can pull it off.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    tildearrow - Too many intermediate layers are bad for performance. And then you're limited to CUDA API's capabilities, and dependent on NVIDIA. Better to use a vendor neutral API like OpenCL. Hopefully Redhat is working with those people implementing OpenCL on Vulkan.

Of course, it's still a good idea to build a CUDA to OpenCL library, because a lot of software (especially closed source) uses CUDA which is only hardware accelerated on NVIDIA GPUs. (Or even a CUDA over Vulkan library).

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    There is only a "small" issue: Nvidia performance sucks and will always suck because of the signed firmware. How do they plan to circumvent it?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Why? Why not a CUDA to OpenCL/Vulkan translator instead?

Leave a comment:

• Red Hat Developers Working Towards A Vendor-Neutral Compute Stack To Take On NVIDIA's CUDA

Phoronix: Red Hat Developers Working Towards A Vendor-Neutral Compute Stack To Take On NVIDIA's CUDA

It's becoming more clear why Red Hat hired a Nouveau developer to work on SPIR-V/compute support for the open-source NVIDIA Linux driver even when that reverse-engineered driver's performance is very poor due to re-clocking / power management limitations for Maxwell and beyond. This appears to be part of a broader compute effort in pursuing a vendor-neutral compute stack across Intel, Radeon, and NVIDIA GPU platforms that could potentially take on NVIDIA's CUDA dominance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X