Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Developers Working Towards A Vendor-Neutral Compute Stack To Take On NVIDIA's CUDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airlied View Post

The video goes into more detail on why SYCL, but you can't create a standard around CUDA without NVIDIA giving CUDA to a standards body, it kinda limits your choices.

If you don't have a standard, NVIDIA can remove the rug at any point.
    I'll keep my eyes out for the video. Can you please elaborate on how NVIDIA can remove the rug? Could NVIDIA somehow get the CUDA support that is already present in Clang removed? How about something that is functionally equivalent, just with slightly different syntax, like HIP?

Comment

Really good idea, it is very much needed.

The problem is that OpenCL is way behind CUDA in terms of features and performance. Until this changes, our closed code will also remain in CUDA.

Comment

I am looking forward to his presentation. From my current observations (and I am not a programmer), it is the (end) goal from Nvidia and AMD (plus possibly Intel in the future) to have better support for GPUs inside the C++ standard. Also there is AMD's HCC2 which is an experimental prototype that is intended to support multiple programming models including OpenMP 4.5+, C++ parallel extentions (original HCC), HIP, and cuda clang. It supports offloading to multiple GPU acceleration targets (multi-target). It also supports different host platforms such as AMD64, PPC64LE, and AARCH64. (multi-platform). So why should developers invest into Khronos' SYCL based approach if they could get multi-target and multi-platform support with something like HCC2? I'd like to hear the pros and cons for each approach from someone knowledgeable who can explain this to laymen like me.

Comment

HokTar - I don't agree that OpenCL is any less performant than CUDA - they both get compiled to a set of GPU instructions that run on the same hardware.

Maybe implementations differ in performance, but AFAIK there's nothing that makes OpenCL as an API inferior to CUDA in terms of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            Dave.
            Have you considered something like what ArrayFire does? It's more of an API/SDK than a language I guess, but uses a JIT compiler to produce optimized code for Cuda/OpenCL and something else I think. AFAIK it's open-source too(licenses for commercial use I think however..).

Comment

Isn't using C++ posing a problem for bindings for other languages, or they offer solutions for that?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                To win the hearts and minds of the developers you need a really good dev environment that makes their life easy. Cuda has this currently
                cuda is closed source, so it can't have good dev environment

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Isn't using C++ posing a problem for bindings for other languages
                  no, it isn't - qt has plenty of bindings. btw, how do you bind to other languages on gpu?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    I am afraid that that line of thinking is very closed :P

They have the $ behind them to supply a good dev environment. Sure - if you come across a bug you have to get them to fix it, on the plus side you wrap that in an S.E.P. field and wait for the next point release with the fix.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      CUDA isn't closed source, but the only usable driver implementation of it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X