No announcement yet.

The Open-Source AMD Linux Driver Stack Hitting Problems With The Radeon RX 590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open-Source AMD Linux Driver Stack Hitting Problems With The Radeon RX 590

Phoronix: The Open-Source AMD Linux Driver Stack Hitting Problems With The Radeon RX 590

While the Radeon RX 590 that launched this week is just yet another Polaris refresh, it turns out the open-source AMD Linux graphics driver stack isn't yet playing well with retail RX 590 graphics cards. This is quite a surprise considering the PCI ID was picked up months ago and the mature Polaris Linux driver support for quite a while now, but could be like the rough Raven Ridge Linux experience where the production cards with the shipping vBIOS isn't what the developers encountered during their pre-production driver enablement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMDGPU-Pro driver works?

Comment

Sad! I had to wait a long time for even beta quality Raven Ridge support, this doesn’t throw a positive light on AMD and its GPUs. Hopefully the problem is resolved faster than the Ryzen Mobile issues.

Comment

That's too bad, I was looking to buy one of these since it seems like a good incremental upgrade to my other Polaris card, and one which could actually help bring minimum framerates closer to where I want them.

Comment

I'm shocked that this isn't working... The RX 480/580 are both supported and I just assumed--what I thought was a safe assumption, I might add--that the driver would "just work". I'm guessing there is some sort of device ID missing in a driver somewhere? I can't imagine any real code changes would be required...

Looking forward to the reply from AMD.

Comment

This is rather unfortunate. The amdgpu-pro drivers require a downgrade to linux 4.9, and they probably won't work either. AMDGPU is where we want to go, anyway. I'm sure there will be a fix soon, but since this isn't a new anything, really, it doesn't make much sense. They just added thermal buffers with the "new" node.

The problem is probably trivial, but leaves as bad aftertaste. Come on AMD, you can't afford to be complacent on the upswing.

Comment

Since this is 12nm maybe UVD block is also is changed/updated

Maybe it supports VC9 I guess not, but maybe yes who knows

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                The amdgpu-pro drivers require a downgrade to linux 4.9...
                I saw some AMDGPU-PRO explicitly supporting longterm kernels like 4.9 and 4.14, but that is on embedded mostly it seems

https://www.amd.com/en/support/embed...v-series-v1000

Sounds like DKMS and recipe approach . Elsewhere that is usually initial distro kernel.

OK, i downloaded this... it is not dkms, but entire kernel build there... this is something entirely different USE THIS approach
                Last edited by dungeon; 17 November 2018, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                  The problem is probably trivial, but leaves as bad aftertaste.
                  AMD have perfect launch drivers after bugs are fixed and even better when FineLine technology matured (if no too much regressions of course)

Comment

So on a gamble I backed-up the polaris10_uvd.bin firmware and copied the vega10_uvd.bin firmware in its place. This got UVD working right away but now I'm getting my kernel message buffer spammed with tons of amdgpu powerplay "failed to send message" errors. The host also had udevd spinning for maybe 5 minutes but it seems to be happy now and is no longer chewing up a core.

So, I thought I'd see if I could get lucky and get X to load. I was able to launch X but it took 5 or 10 minutes where it appeared to do nothing but now I've got my KDE desktop back.

The only bad thing is that the GPU fans are running at full power so my desktop isn't exactly quiet right now... hahaa... Maybe I will put the side cover back on!

Comment

Working...
                    X