Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Researchers Publish Paper On GPU Side-Channel Attacks

Phoronix: University Researchers Publish Paper On GPU Side-Channel Attacks

University researchers out of University of California Riverside have published a paper this week detailing vulnerabilities in current GPU architectures making them vulnerable to side-channel attacks akin to Spectre and Meltdown...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-Channel-Flaw

I hope there is no negative performance impact to be expected from solving these problems?!

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      I hope there is no negative performance impact to be expected from solving these problems?!
      Keep hoping.

Comment

Not this shit again.

Comment

If mitigations like limiting granularity of counters are enough, then no, there should be no significant performance impact.

Comment

Oh. Well. It was to be expected. Someone had to play with it and discover. I guess we will still see more of this kind in the future.
            I guess there will be performance impacts, though, well, Nv might possibly declare this not to be a bug (and not fix it).
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Keep hoping.
              I do. Or else I will have some use for my pitch fork again.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Keep hoping.
                Is this supposed to mean "you support him", or "that won't happen so please stop"?

Comment

"Neutral networks"?

Comment

I'll ask again - are there any examples yet of any machines being pwned via Spectre or Meltdown in the wild? A single one? I still cannot find a single example.

If this is all just theoretical academic hacking wizardry that could only be accomplished by a group with unlimited resources like a major nation state, then all this tomfoolery is simply a hardware tax. And probably designed to force more monitoring and regulation of our hardware and processes.

Comment

Working...
                    X