AMD Radeon RX 590 Launches, Linux Support Presumably Okay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MVinhas View Post
    RX470/480/570/580/590 are almost the same. Now we just need the release of RX595, which will be a RX590 slightly overclocked, which is a RX580 slightly overclocked, (...)
    This card has a lot lower iddle power consumption, and should be a lot more competitive than rx580.
    It should also if you want rise the bars with OC, but the bottom line here is eficiency, and this card is a lot better than a rx580.

Comment

$280 for 'barely an upgrade' 3 whole years after RX 480!...
      $200 would be the fair price.
      $250 owuld be acceptable.
      Anything above that is a no go!

I ain't gonna pay 2019 prices for 2015 hardware!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

It consumes more actually. The RX 580 had a total board power rating of 185W. The RX 590 raises it to 225W to achieve around +200MHz in base and boost clocks.
        You are right. I never actually looked at the TDP, just assumed. According to Tom's Hardware, it seems they took advantage of part of the 12nm to gain higher clocks, but not the new library 7.5T to enable lower power usage.

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        $280 for 'barely an upgrade' 3 whole years after RX 480!...
        $200 would be the fair price.
        $250 owuld be acceptable.
        Anything above that is a no go!

This is the case for all hardware from 3 years ago. Look at the GTX 970. $300 gets you a 1060 6GB, which offers zero performance gains. Or a GTX 980 to 2070 for $500.

$280 is priced just around the GTX 1060 6GB, which the RX 590 outperforms, so the pricing makes sense in that case. But it isn't the best bang for you buck.

Comment

by the time we get to the RX9980 we should be within arm's reach of 1080ti performance....

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            by the time we get to the RX9980 we should be within arm's reach of 1080ti performance....
            I might actually be okay with that, considering the RTX2080ti with ray tracing enabled performs similarly to a GTX970 with very little visual fidelity gained.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              Didn't RX480 launch in mid-2016 ?
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I haven't regularly played any games in a decade+, only benchmark them.
                Any benchmarks for compute? Would be nice to see how it compares to nvidia offerings(especially pascal and turing) for tensorflow or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Any benchmarks for compute? Would be nice to see how it compares to nvidia offerings(especially pascal and turing) for tensorflow or similar.
                  Yes as said in the article, will have compute tests in the days to come after the gaming tests.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mercurio View Post
                    AMD released the youtube video comparing it to Radeon RX480, link below.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAPmwgMAbc
                    OK, up to 27% perf over original year 2016. Polaris RX 480 ... or on average probably half that

1/4 more perf is not nothing i guess
                    Last edited by dungeon; 15 November 2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

https://techreport.com/r.x/2018_11_1...value-99th.png
                      Seems like good value for what average gamers want: 60fps+ 99% of the time at 1080p in the most popular titles at their highest settings. For my purposes, it looks like it's good value for getting more 6.9ms frames on the desktop than I do with my (standard clocked) WX 7100.

Comment

Working...
                      X