X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbug
    replied
    Good stuff.

There is also a lack of quality Freesync 2 monitors on the market. AMD needs to work with their partners and resolve that too.

Leave a comment:

• mv.gavrilov
    replied
    I'm so excited want to try it right now on my Vega 64.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow
    Isn't the pixel color value enough?
    pixel color value is enough for representing values. for displaying them you need monitor support, otherwise your b&w monitor will just display two colors
    Why can't we adopt at least 16-bit floating point and save ourselves from this complexity?
    there are no massmarket montors capable of displaying both smallest and largest 16bit float brightness

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied

Isn't the pixel color value enough? Why can't we adopt at least 16-bit floating point and save ourselves from this complexity?
    We're talking about 10-bit per channel hardware and above with the DCI-P3 color palette and/or the BT.2020 HDR10 standard minimum.
    • DCI/P3 Color Space
      DCI-P3 is a popular high dynamic range (HDR) RGB color space that was introduced in 2007 by SMPTE and features a color gamut much wider than Rec. 709, covering 45.5% of all colors perceptible to humans as per the CIE 1931 color space. All Digital Cinema Projectors are capable of displaying the entire DCI P3 color space.
      DCI/P3 has assumed importance in recent times since this is the reference color gamut for current ‘Ultra HD Premium TV’s, which are expected to support at least 90% of the DCI/P3 color space with a minimum brightness of 0.05nits and maximum brightness of 1000nits
    • The Rec. 2020 color space
      ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020, more commonly known by the abbreviations Rec. 2020 or BT.2020 is the de facto standard for HDR10 which defines various aspects of UHDTV such as resolution, frame rates, bit depth, chroma subsampling and color space. The associated color space is also commonly referred to as Rec. 2020. It covers 75.8% of all colors perceptible to humans as per the CIE 1931 xy color space.
      In August 2015, the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) standardized the HDR10 Media Profile format for all HDR compatible display devices. Support for REC.2020 color primaries and ST2084 EOTF transfer characteristics are essential to this format.
    Working in 16 bit floating point on an 8 bit per channel display isn't solving anything regarding actual artists.

Leave a comment:

• anth
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Now if only Intel could get behind this too...
    In 2015 Intel said they planned to support VESA Adaptive Sync (ie FreeSync by another name) though not when. We've not heard anything more about that for a few years so there was a recent argument on another forum with some people claiming there had never been such a plan, so someone got Intel to confirm they still intend to do this with a future hardware generation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...ure_coming_in/

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    I hear you want HDR 800 or above, and only select titles work well with it, such as FarCry5 I hear?!

Allot of cheap monitor makers are giving people HDR200/400/600 screens, basically their SDR.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    They are, they just haven't implemented it yet. Perhaps there will be stronger effort once they start pushing out discrete GPU's.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Most basic definition of HDR output is that individual pixels or areas can be brighter than the color white with the chosen brightness level for an SDR picture. It allows to get closer to real life brightness contrasts and is best achieved with self-luminous display types like OLED to avoid halos etc.

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Typos:

What is HDR exactly? When I first saw it I thought it was something like deep color, but after finding out deep color monitors and HDR are different things, I got a little crazy...
    High Dynamic Range is about extending the color space of your monitor. In other terms, it allows it to display more colours. The current standards and monitor don't come close to replicate the reddest reds or greenest greens that we can see (though pretty close for the blue part, IIRC).

I've never owned any HDR monitor myself, and I am not sure I ever saw one, but people say it makes a bigger difference than 1080p ->4K.

No idea what "deep color" is about, must be a proprietary implementation of HDR, or a marketting name of a random brand.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X