AMD Rumored To Be Soon Launching A 12nm Polaris Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

They are competing with Nvidia. Just not in the gaming segment ...

Graphics: AMD Radeon GCN architecture (built into APU)
    Units sold: 39.1 million units

Graphics: Semi-custom AMD GCN Radeon (integrated into APU)
    Units sold: 81.2 million (as of July 22, 2018)

Graphics: Nvidia GM20B Maxwell-based GPU
    Units sold: 19.67 million (as of June 30, 2018)

Comment

They don't make much on incumbent consoles. Margins are very thin there.

Comment

They don't make much on incumbent consoles. Margins are very thin there.
        Your claim was that AMD are not competing [well] with NVIDIA in the gaming segment. In the console gaming segment, they are more than competing with NVIDIA: AMD are kicking NVIDIA's ass. I expect that NVIDIA are beating AMD in the PC gaming, GPU market (even accounting for AMD APUs). It looks that way: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey . However, I provided those games console stats to show that AMD certainly aren't on the side lines. Considering the fact that AMD has done so brilliantly well with their CPUs during 2018, even out-competing Intel (judged on a price / performance ratio), with Intel even opting to build AMD GPU cores into some of their processors, I'd say that AMD are competing with NVIDIA in the gaming market. They're behind in the race over-all, but hot on NVIDIAs tail. NVIDIA should ignore or disregard AMD at their own peril.

If Navi is a success & AMD maintain their performance and price superiority over Intel in the CPU market, we might see AMD taking the lead from NVIDIA some time over the next 2 to 5 years.

I also have this sneaking suspicion that Valve plan to make a proper games console within the next 10 years that would compete with the Playstation and XBOX consoles. It would have a native support for VR, Valve custom controllers, a GNU/Linux Steam OS and would almost certainly be using a Radeon GPU: Valve developers have previously expressed just how marvellous it is to have access to GPU driver source code and the ability to improve it. Not only can they tune their games to make better use of the hardware, but they can also improve the drivers to fix issues and make them more efficient.
        Last edited by cybertraveler; 09 October 2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          why do that while discussing amd?
          That is the essence of bad management that Amd still follows. I have done management before and i'm telling you: what if Nvidia doesn't overcharge an Rtx2060, what then? Everyone knows Amd's mistake, you don't wait to see that's a rule.

Comment

why do that while discussing amd?
            Because AMD doesn't publish financial numbers like that. They group all CPUs, GPUs and APUs for revenue.

Also we've been discussing markets, not AMD. I suggest you start actually reading the context of the conversation and stop spamming the thread with five out of context one-liner posts in a row.

It is relevant for AMD.
            It's irrelevant while discussing GPUs. Stop trolling.

this is not a fact, but fallacy. amd doesn't "compete with volta". each card competes with cards of similar price. if you are bying $200 card, speed of nvidia $1000 card has exactly zero relevance. unless you are nvidiot
            There is absolutely no discrepancy in the essence of your post compared to mine. I mean apart from the fact that I don't call people idiots that agree with me.
            Last edited by juno; 09 October 2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              Also we've been discussing markets, not AMD.
              we were discussing what market is more important to amd. "I suggest you start actually reading the context of the conversation"
              Originally posted by juno View Post
              There is absolutely no discrepancy in the essence of your post compared to mine.
              apart from the fact that you've called "$200 amd card(subj) cannot compete with nvidia" a fact

Comment

"We"? You haven't even been in this discussion, as long as you don't have multiple accounts in this forum.

Bullshit.
                Last edited by juno; 09 October 2018, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                  Another 12nm GPU? Hmm, seems like their 7nm Navis are still several months away.

btw.: I considered buying a cheap Graphics card that can drive 3 displays, AMD has nothing below 200€ while I can get a Nvidia one for 50€. AMD, fix your lineup please.
                  I recently bought a used 1070 for GPU passthrough & rx 560 4GB for the host - after 1 month I sold the 1070 & now just dual boot the rx560. At 1080p I didn't notice much difference between the 2 cards when used with a freesync monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                    Another 12nm GPU? Hmm, seems like their 7nm Navis are still several months away.

btw.: I considered buying a cheap Graphics card that can drive 3 displays, AMD has nothing below 200€ while I can get a Nvidia one for 50€. AMD, fix your lineup please.
                    Uh.. What? AFAIK all Radeons support 6 displays ever since 6xxx series. I checked with RX 550 - cheap AMD card - spec says that 6 monitors are supported. And R5 230 (old 6450 - very cheap) does support 3 displays.. What are you on about?

Comment

Sapphire R9 270's are cheap & support 4 displays - pretty good for gaming too

Comment

Working...
                      X