AMD Rumored To Be Soon Launching A 12nm Polaris Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Simple, a search on that otherwise rather reliable site doesn't show anything below RX 570: https://geizhals.at/?cat=gra16_512&xf=3082_3 (filtered for >=3 digital outputs).
    Are you sure the lower end cards can drive 3 digital outputs without some daisy-chain tricks or similar?
    https://geizhals.at/msi-radeon-rx-55...7.html?hloc=at

Not sure why the page filters that one out.

There is also the Pro Wx 2100 with the same Chip but with three DisplayPort connectors for around 100€. AMD advertises that one with 5 displays, so I'd guess that the DCE is limited to actually 5, not 6 as I stated above. I'd expect the same functionality for the RX 550.

Apart form that, daisy chaining is not a trick. It's a feature of DP and I see no reason not to use it if possible in your setup as the free amdgpu stack supports DP MST with DC. Of course, if none of your monitors supports it that's bad and should remind you of not always buying the very cheapest stuff that's available There are DP MST hubs as well, of course, but you won't save any money with that in the short-term. You'd potentially be able to use it with future GPU/Monitor setups though.
    Last edited by juno; 08 October 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Calling it a "refresh" might be a bit of an understatement considering they've switched foundries and fab processes...

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
        At least it's better than nothing, I guess? Though 10% improvement is not something to look forward to.
        It's a bit sad to see they are basically unable to compete with NVidia.
        Sounds like you aren't too familiar with the market landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
          Calling it a "refresh" might be a bit of an understatement considering they've switched foundries and fab processes...
          Re-Refresh or refresh-next would be more accurate indeed, as it is basically a RX480 / 470 with better clock speeds and maybe some refinements from the board partners.

The switch from GloFo to TSMC starts with the 7nm parts, not 12nm Polaris 30. That is still based on the Samsung 14nm process which GloFo licensed.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            foundries? this is on glofo 12nm

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              You are right, I'm not following the market that closely, just seeing nvidia perform better these days.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

https://geizhals.at/msi-radeon-rx-55...7.html?hloc=at

Not sure why the page filters that one out.

There is also the Pro Wx 2100 with the same Chip but with three DisplayPort connectors for around 100€. AMD advertises that one with 5 displays, so I'd guess that the DCE is limited to actually 5, not 6 as I stated above. I'd expect the same functionality for the RX 550.
                The page list the digital outputs separately, I had some surprises with older motherboards coming with DVI + HDMI connectors where only one worked at any time, and I work with current embedded chips where its the same with DP / HDMI.
                I dont find anything conclusive on AMDs page.

Originally posted by juno View Post
                Apart form that, daisy chaining is not a trick. It's a feature of DP and I see no reason not to use it if possible in your setup as the free amdgpu stack supports DP MST with DC. Of course, if none of your monitors supports it that's bad and should remind you of not always buying the very cheapest stuff that's available There are DP MST hubs as well, of course, but you won't save any money with that in the short-term. You'd potentially be able to use it with future GPU/Monitor setups though.
                I think you know what I mean, and my older monitors where bought at a time where DP was at a steep premium.
                daisy chaining is different to separate monitors, separate monitors need separate sync, daisy-chaining is shared.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  But you are?
                  There's nothing wrong about his statement. It's a fact that AMD can't currently compete with Volta or Turing. Or even the high-end Pascals for that matter.

@discordian: as I said, special requirements. Backwards-compatibility with old hardware is such a thing. It's wrong to say they don't support 3 displays when they actually support 5.
                  And DisplayPort to DVI (and HDMI) adapters are a thing, they usually are even included in the package. So without daisy chaining I think there's still the possibility to drive 3 DVI monitors with a WX 2100 for 100€, which is half the price you mentioned. And you have the features of modern hardware - low power consumption, hardware-accelerated modern video de- and encoding, Vulkan, ... things you don't get if you buy an ancient Kepler-generation GeForce.
                  Last edited by juno; 08 October 2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    It's a bit sad to see they are basically unable to compete with NVidia.
                    They are competing with Nvidia. Just not in the gaming segment which is much smaller than compute / AI segment. It's hard to blame them, you can argue it's a reasonable investment of resources.

I've read, that in order to compete with Nvidia in more timely fashion in gaming, they need architecture re-design, to support gaming scenarios as well as compute scenarios effectively. Current AMD architecture (GCN) is more optimized for compute. To do that, AMD are working on something they call "super-SIMD" architecture. Not sure when it will first be used. May be Navi, or one after that.

So they'll get to competing with Nvidia in gaming too, but it takes time.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 08 October 2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Is this better or worse than Vega?

Comment

Working...
                      X