Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
    Is this better or worse than Vega?
    Vega will still be more performant. Then there is 7 nm Vega or Navi coming in 2019. The next generation after that is already probably 2020, that's when things will get really interesting and hopefully it will be same level of breakthrough like Zen architecture is in CPUs for them.
    Last edited by shmerl; 08 October 2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
      And DisplayPort to DVI (and HDMI) adapters are a thing, they usually are even included in the package. So without daisy chaining I think there's still the possibility to drive 3 DVI monitors with a WX 2100 for 100€, which is half the price you mentioned. And you have the features of modern hardware - low power consumption, hardware-accelerated modern video de- and encoding, Vulkan, ... things you don't get if you buy an ancient Kepler-generation GeForce.
      Yeah, seems that way. I stand corrected and now claim the opposite =)

The search engine seems to have a bug, as it has the cards showing 3 digital outputs, but they don't show up in the search.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        They are competing with Nvidia. Just not in the gaming segment which is much smaller than compute / AI segment. It's hard to blame them, you can argue it's a reasonable investment of resources.
        That is nice to know, thanks for the explanation. I had no idea that the compute segment was bigger than gaming!

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          I had no idea that the compute segment was bigger than gaming!
          It isn't. Don't believe the made-up statements without a source. Gaming/consumer is by far the greatest market. Taking numbers from Nvidia:

Gaming: $1.8 billion
          Datacenter: $760 million
          Workstation/"Professional Visualization": $281 million

source: https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/n...er-fiscal-2019

And Nvidia sells much, much more to professionals than AMD does.

Another source is AMD, estimating a TAM (total addressable market) for low-end to mainstream of ~$10 billion and ~$3-4 billion for "premium and professional" - which still includes higher-end gaming cards not intended for professional use (taken from Vega presentation graph).
          Last edited by juno; 08 October 2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

It's a fact that AMD can't currently compete with Volta or Turing. Or even the high-end Pascals for that matter.
            False. You and others seem to think that "compete" means to compare the very top of the line most expensive parts, and see who's is fastest. That's not the way the market works. Very few people buy the most expensive top of the line part. The vast majority of the market is the so-called "value segment" which is the low to midrange parts. In this market, absolute performance doesn't mean very much. Performance per dollar means everything. Forget technologies and model names. If AMD can sell a $149 part that performs on par or better than the $149 part from Nvidia, that is solid competition by any definition. The fact that AMD's $699 part is slower than Nvidia's $999 part is almost meaningless in terms of dollars and sales.

Even more relevant to readers of this forum, is the fact that AMD has highly competitive open source drivers, while NVidia does not and probably never will. As Linux does not generally get the latest AAA game titles anyways, absolute performance again doesn't matter. If the $149 AMD part gets 155 fps in most Linux Steam games, and the $149 Nvidia part gets 170 fps, who cares? That is not a difference that any human will ever notice, and any self-respecting FOSS geek will see the wisdom in selecting AMD.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 08 October 2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Good move by AMD. Nvidia doesn't launch the gtx 2060 until next year. Right now the rx580 and gtx 1060 are neck and neck.

this new release will put AMD firmly in the performance lead in this price segment well ahead of the gtx 1060. They have a good few months including holiday season to cash in on that.

Comment

Nevermind, I got myself a used RX580 8GB for 180€ a month ago (bought new in january), bankrupt miners are dumping them on eBay now, you get a really good bang for buck ratio and you get to bathe in the tears of broke morons.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                  Another 12nm GPU? Hmm, seems like their 7nm Navis are still several months away.

btw.: I considered buying a cheap Graphics card that can drive 3 displays, AMD has nothing below 200€ while I can get a Nvidia one for 50€. AMD, fix your lineup please.
                  Navi was always scheduled for 2019.

Comment

Not always but for a long time.

@torsionbar28: You responded to the wrong person. I've made a clear constraint to high performance products in my statement. Also for me, Nvidia is not competitive because of the drivers. But I represent an unimportant minority.
                    Nevertheless, those shiny high end products always also have an effect to the sales of smaller products in the portfolio. Nvidia is selling 3 for each of AMD's GPUs. Those are certainly not only high end ones.
                    Last edited by juno; 08 October 2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

It isn't. Don't believe the made-up statements without a source. Gaming/consumer is by far the greatest market. Taking numbers from Nvidia:
                      It is. From Lisa Su (AMD CEO):

Addressing NVIDIA and Intel Su said "high performance computing is a $75 billion market. We have an opportunity to address that entire market. We believe our technology is very competitive. The fact is there's a need for many solutions and our customers are saying they like our growth map and they're excited about what we have."
                      AMD is very clearly focused now on compute / datacenter more than on gaming. That's why they are pushing out 7 nm Vega for datacenters, but not for gamers yet. And they are going to address gaming more seriously only in a year or so. You can argue about what's better, but that's what AMD decided according to their priorities.
                      Last edited by shmerl; 08 October 2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X