The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Arrives For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
    I wonder how well these cards perform in AI and machine learning applications. With the addition of all those extra RTX and Tensor cores I am hoping to see Titan V level performance.
    RTX cores won't help with AI.

Otherwise, yes. The specs say that Tensor performance should be close to Titan V at training, and well beyond anything at inference.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      “until the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti begin shipping on Thursday”

except the ti it will only launch next Thursday
      Not exactly. What they said was that some initial Ti shipments could be delayed by up to a week. But, it sounded like they will still start shipping on the originally announced date.

We expect pre-orders to arrive between September 20th and September 27th.
      Last edited by coder; 18 September 2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        For my Experience, a Nvidia Card, takes more than 10 years to loose support.
        Not any more:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Fermi-Mainline

We can only hope they'll begin releasing details on Maxwell, when they decide to drop it, so at least the open source Nouveau driver can fully support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I am still waiting on the driver that I am told will be out tomorrow.
          Just be glad you don't have to sign your life away, like the poor Windows reviewers.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018..._distribution/

...5 year NDA!

Comment

Ti even before launch? What if any of the 9 competitors releases something that's a lot faster? Do they do TitTi? Titan Xt Ti?

Comment

For my Experience, a Nvidia Card, takes more than 10 years to loose support. They continue to make laps around competition in that regard. You can throw new cards, at pcie1.1 in a mobo from 2007, and they shine, with processors from that time..

My experience is a little different. I worked in my physics department at university as system administrator. We had many linux machines with elder Nvidia GPUs. The oldest ones were from 7000 and 8000 series. At that time, they were only supported by the legacy drivers. Which had known bugs on modern compositing desktops, which didn't get fixed. And drawing issues with GTK. We ended up dropping lots of those cards and switching to later ones to be able to use a non-legacy driver.

While it's nice to be „supported” for 10 years, it's worth little, if there is no support. Open source drivers are the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                For my Experience, a Nvidia Card, takes more than 10 years to loose support.
                They continue to make laps around competition in that regard.
                You can throw new cards, at pcie1.1 in a mobo from 2007, and they shine, with processors from that time..

Its a secure investment, for years to come...
                Don't confuse the driver package being updated with the actual driver being updated. The actually driver for the GPU itself stops getting updates after a few years, normally 1-2 years after a new arch is released. The package which includes things like fixes for games and bugs in software gets updated for much longer but won't improve the efficiency of the driver itself.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Ti even before launch? What if any of the 9 competitors releases something that's a lot faster? Do they do TitTi? Titan Xt Ti?
                The die is already massive and clocks are as high as they can push them. They are using 12nm compared to AMD who are using 7nm. It doesn't matter anyway because gamers don't buy AMD GPUs even when they are better so AMD has given up on trying to please gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Not any more:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Fermi-Mainline

We can only hope they'll begin releasing details on Maxwell, when they decide to drop it, so at least the open source Nouveau driver can fully support it.
                  Yeah that's saddening, was still a good 8 year (9 if you count critical security updates) but it's sad the world today is all about milking customers than providing actual quality.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                    How much does it weigh?
                    1273 grams for the RTX 2080 Ti. (https://www.computerbase.de/2018-09/...-2080-ti-test/)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

My experience is a little different. I worked in my physics department at university as system administrator. We had many linux machines with elder Nvidia GPUs. The oldest ones were from 7000 and 8000 series. At that time, they were only supported by the legacy drivers. Which had known bugs on modern compositing desktops, which didn't get fixed. And drawing issues with GTK. We ended up dropping lots of those cards and switching to later ones to be able to use a non-legacy driver.

While it's nice to be „supported” for 10 years, it's worth little, if there is no support. Open source drivers are the way to go.
                      Well I don't know about that Hardware combination..
                      What I can say its that a 8400GS from last decade is still supported on Cuda toolkit 6.5, and it still compiles, on kernel 9.8 on Current Debian Stable.
                      If you want I can sent you the procedures...

Of course, it needs "some love", before it work, but at the end works like a charm on a c2d on pcie1.1.
                      A GTX 1080 also works on a c2d with Cuda toolkit 9.1, and with 9.2, on pcie1.1(This ones ... you don't even need jujitsu skills, its PnP ) .

This are things that I know, because I used to deal with some hardware, and we still have some "forgotten machines" from older times, getting dust, and we were getting them to provide stats and so, and I made this tests about 1 month ago, it was like a deja-vu, going back 10 years...
                      With Graphics and Cuda working OK, of course 8400GS is SM 1.1 not much software support nowadays SM1.1 arch..

But, I do want OpenSource Drivers to Support my cards too.

Comment

Working...
                      X