Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux 4.19 AMDGPU + Mesa 18.3 Performance From The Radeon HD 7950 To RX Vega 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 4.19 AMDGPU + Mesa 18.3 Performance From The Radeon HD 7950 To RX Vega 64

Phoronix: The Linux 4.19 AMDGPU + Mesa 18.3 Performance From The Radeon HD 7950 To RX Vega 64

Here are the results from sone weekend benchmarking looking at the current stage of the AMDGPU + RadeonSI/RADV open-source AMD Linux graphics card performance when using the very latest code from the Linux 4.19 development kernel and Mesa 18.3. It's also an interesting mix of AMD Radeon graphics cards from the HD 7950 through the latest RX Vega 64.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Here are the results from sone weekend benchmarking

Comment

And the compute performance for OpenCL 1.2 or greater stack?

Comment

Thank you Michael. An interesting read. I’d be very interested in seeing what difference those new Ryzen optimisations that came in Mesa 18.3 made to the performance of the AMD cards. Is it possible to show some comparison against an earlier Mesa version?

Regards,
        d.

Comment

Good to see the R9-290 in there keeping up with the latest and greatest! I've got a watercooled 290X and it runs every game available on Linux in decent settings! It copped a lot of bad press back in the day because of heat and power usage but with the right cooling it runs always maxed when required; you don't buy a V8 if you're worried about petrol! Looks like I won't be needing a new card for another year or more.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
            Good to see the R9-290 in there keeping up with the latest and greatest! I've got a watercooled 290X and it runs every game available on Linux in decent settings! It copped a lot of bad press back in the day because of heat and power usage but with the right cooling it runs always maxed when required; you don't buy a V8 if you're worried about petrol! Looks like I won't be needing a new card for another year or more.
            I happen to remember that the discrapancy between the 4/580 and the 2/390 is much more pronounced on linux than on windows , is it still the case or newer drivers put the Polaris on top? Although the Hawaii doesn't have full DX12 support

Comment

Originally posted by untore View Post

I happen to remember that the discrapancy between the 4/580 and the 2/390 is much more pronounced on linux than on windows
              Only in some games like Rise of the Tomb Raider. I am not sure if it is the AMDGPU kernel component or the RadV Vulkan component which is not as well tuned for Hawai as it is for Polaris.
              Would be interesting to see the same comparison on amdvlk or amdgpu-pro.

Comment

Speaking of RoTR, is there a reason why the Fury was omitted in one of the benchmarks? It ran OK, last time I checked

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  Speaking of RoTR, is there a reason why the Fury was omitted in one of the benchmarks? It ran OK, last time I checked
                  Oops, forgot to mention it in the article. For that particular configuration, RoTR would hang with Fury.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for your results. Every time I see the combination Radeon 7950 and X-Plane11 I'm wondering how you get this combination running. I'm using a Radeon 7970, in my opinion that should make no difference.
                    Since moving from X-Plane11/fglrx driver (OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 - slow but running without errors) to OpenSUSE Leap 15.0/Mesa (last try: Kernel 4.19 RC2/Mesa 18.2) every time not only the games crashes but the complete system crashes even when I simply let the plane standing on the runway and doing nothing (mostly after 10-20 sec the system freezes, sometimes after 2-3min)
                    Because of the freezing there are no game logs or system logs I could have a look into.
                    Can anybody give me a hint how to proceed, are there possibilities to get a log even if the machine is freezing?

Thanks for all information resp. my trouble
                    Reg.
                    Christof

Comment

Working...
                    X