Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tighter NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Battle With 396.54 + Mesa 18.3-dev Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tighter NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Battle With 396.54 + Mesa 18.3-dev Drivers

Phoronix: The Tighter NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Battle With 396.54 + Mesa 18.3-dev Drivers

Last week NVIDIA released the 396.54 driver that has a significant performance fix for OpenGL/Vulkan Linux performance due to a resource leak regression introduced at the start of the 390 driver series. With that updated driver (also as of yesterday back-ported to 390.87 too), there is a measurable boost in performance after running a few games on NVIDIA Linux systems. But at the same time, the Mesa 18.3-dev open-source graphics driver stack with RadeonSI/RADV continues improving on the open-source AMD front. Here is a fresh look at how the latest AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards compare using these latest drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Personally: I'll always take Open Source, well integrated drivers (AMD & Intel) over proprietary drivers (NVIDIA). I still love to see this benchmarks though. It will be very interesting to see how Intel do against AMD and NVIDIA come 2020 when they release their own discrete GPU.

Comment

Interesting - I thought the 1060 would've won in just about every test. Either the 580 had better performance than I remember it having or this performance boost just wasn't that significant on the 1060.

Comment

Just one concept for readers to keep in mind.... One of those drivers is open source and the other one isn't.....

Comment

Michael why don't you benchmark Mad Max with OpenGL as you did last time? I guess AMD cards do better there than with Vulkan.

Comment

Polaris on Linux seems to perform where you would expect it to relative to Nvidia's line-up. (comparing to Windows results)

Whereas Vega seems to really underperform relative to what it does on Windows.

Comment

Vega still has plenty of room for growth, but i feel it has been pretty stagnant. At least the 580 is looking good. Wonder how Fury is holding up these day?

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
                Vega still has plenty of room for growth, but i feel it has been pretty stagnant. At least the 580 is looking good. Wonder how Fury is holding up these day?
                I've got two Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury and they seem to be right in between RX580 and Vega 56, sometimes closer to the 580, sometimes closer to the Vega depending on workload. Slightly less power efficient than those cards though. Usually 200-260W in more demanding games, but with less demanding games and 60fps cap they are pretty efficient, often not drawing more than ~100W.

Edit: I get why Michael stopped testing them though. It's been quite a while now since retailers stopped selling them. Only way to get one these days is second hand. Still a decent card though.
                Last edited by Brisse; 28 August 2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I've got two Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury and they seem to be right in between RX580 and Vega 56, sometimes closer to the 580, sometimes closer to the Vega depending on workload. Slightly less power efficient than those cards though. Usually 200-260W in more demanding games, but with less demanding games and 60fps cap they are pretty efficient, often not drawing more than ~100W.

Edit: I get why Michael stopped testing them though. It's been quite a while now since retailers stopped selling them. Only way to get one these days is second hand. Still a decent card though.
                  Thanks. I have the upgrade itch, but I want to hold out to see how navi will be. No real complaints for the RX 480 at the moment anyway. I would prefer to stick with AMD and opensource drivers.

Comment

Yes, the Mesa drivers are still garbage..

Comment

Working...
                    X