Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Radeon Pro V340 With Dual Vega GPUs & 32GB HBM2

Phoronix: AMD Releases Radeon Pro V340 With Dual Vega GPUs & 32GB HBM2

AMD used VMworld 2018 to announce the Radeon Pro V340 graphics card, which features two Vega GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah but, can it play Crysis on Steam Proton?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Yeah but, can it play Crysis on Steam Proton?
      i'd like to know the performance when only two users use it (eg a win vm and the linux host).
      so yes... can i play crysis on it?

Comment

I don't see any reason why not.
        However, from a consumer's perspective with that use case it will be chapter to buy two separate cards because AMD doesn't seem to be interested in shipping this to non-pro ones.

Comment

For Linux gamer its probably bad investment. First, Crossfire is not working under Linux, second, even if it did - games have to support it. No games on Linux support multi head video cards. I tried quake and doom many years ago, no performance difference with SLI on those whatsoever.

Comment

Yeah the only real way dual GPU's will work for gaming is if AMD comes up with a GPU version of Infinity Fabric, one that has low latency or at least can sync the frames from both GPU's to the output which is not easy to do.

Guessing this card is around 400W power consumption.

Comment

Even though this isn't intended for gaming, everyone keeps talking about gaming with it anyway.

Good luck when you can't plug in a monitor.

Comment

Well that's the target group here. I think it's pretty normal that people think and talk about their own use cases.

BTW, you don't have to plug the monitor into the card that is actually rendering the image. Fun fact: recently people found out they could use FreeSync together with their Nvidia cards if they plug their display into their Raven Ridge APU.
                Last edited by juno; 27 August 2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

When will AMD enable SR-IOV for regular cards?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                    Even though this isn't intended for gaming, everyone keeps talking about gaming with it anyway.
                    Good luck when you can't plug in a monitor.
                    Why would you want to? Put the machine into the basement with huge and loud fans, put the VMs onto that machine, put a Raspberry Pi 3 onto your desk and connect to the VM of your choice and enjoy gaming without any noise. Or have a fat machine in the basement, give every kid in your house a screen and a Raspberry and everyone can play. And if need be change the GPU to the next gen and everyone benefits. Or put a second one into the machine if want to play CoD or Battlefield against your kids. Imagine a 16 core Threadripper in the basement, each VM 4 cores, one fat GPU for 1080p at high details. And daddy gets 8 cores and the second GPU for playing at WQHD.

This would be THE feature for AMD over Nvidia. Especially now that Nvidia wipes the floor with AMD for the foreseeable future (no, I don't expect Navi being competitive against the RTX series) and the mining boom seems to be over. So, PLEASE AMD make this possible, even with limits like 2 or 4 VMs for consumer cards.
                    Last edited by Hasenpfote; 27 August 2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X