NVIDIA Talks Up GeForce RTX 2080 Series Performance, But No Linux Mentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Talks Up GeForce RTX 2080 Series Performance, But No Linux Mentions

Phoronix: NVIDIA Talks Up GeForce RTX 2080 Series Performance, But No Linux Mentions

On Monday NVIDIA introduced the GeForce RTX 20 series while today they have begun making some more performance details of these Turing-powered GPUs succeeding the GeForce GTX 1000 "Pascal" series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They couldn't have just stuck with the logical naming scheme and made this the 1100 series? I guess that would have been too easy and prevented consumer confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      They couldn't have just stuck with the logical naming scheme and made this the 1100 series? I guess that would have been too easy and prevented consumer confusion.
      Maybe the card is a huge leap (11 to 110 FP16 TFLOPS) from the older gen, and that is why they wanted to call it 2000?

Comment

Smell the damage control.
        Last edited by vegabook; 22 August 2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I''m curious about the deep learning super sampling tech. Why isn't it available for all games ? Do they train the networks for a given game ? Also I'd like to see how much the image quality is impacted compared to rendering the full image. Also have they tried other techs ? What about bicubic spline interpolation for example ?

Comment

>Of course, none of these games are natively available for Linux -- or planned for native ports, at least what's been made public

ARK: Survival Evolved has a GNU/Linux native version:
            Stranded on the shores of a mysterious island, you must learn to survive. Use your cunning to kill or tame the primeval creatures roaming the land, and encounter other players to survive, dominate... and escape!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              RTX vs AMD's RX is already confusing enough

Comment

They should name it "GPU 2018 Home Edition" instead of RTX 2060. "GPU 2018 Professional Edition" instead of RTX 2070. And "GPU 2018 Ultimate Edition" instead of RTX 2080.

Comment

Some YT channels are suspicious of this new card series. Nvidia is not making FPS comparisons against the older series, is all about AI and ray tracing. This could mean a very thin performance advantage over the old series, worse power consumption, the new technologies will mean squat to the majority of games on the market and most future releases.

If they didn't deliver a performance increase big enough to justify the high prices, these cards will not fly out of the shelves... Especially if you consider they will not stay on top for 2 years like the 10XX series, since next year NVidia and AMD 7nm cards are coming anyway.

Comment

Nobody has the cards yet. It's not just about linux. Nvidia ain't sending samples.

Comment

Working...
                    X