Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Fresh Look At The NVIDIA vs. Radeon Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt For August 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzrobot
    replied
    Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

Probably Intel+AMD on linux and AMD+Nvidia on Windows.
    Inclined that way. I favor Fedora and that would remove the potential (inevitable?) Nvidia kernel update issues.

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    Unigine Heaven v4.0
    Which config?
    I have ~90 fps @ 1920x1080
    with current git and most (NIR) devel stuff
    on RX580 / ('old') Xeon X3470 2.93 GHz, 4c/8t, 24 GB

Leave a comment:

• IreMinMon
    replied
    Vega 64 consistently performs worse than 1070ti. New Nvidia GPUs are basically here. Who to blame?

Leave a comment:

• IreMinMon
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
    OK, got a Ryzen 2700x in one box, an i7-8086k in the other, and a 1080-ti and an RX Vega 64.

One machine needs to be Windows 10. One machine needs to be Linux. Not terribly concerned with getting the best gaming benchmarks. Seriously concerned about heat and fan noise (I'm air cooling and not overclocking).

How should I go?

Probably Intel+AMD on linux and AMD+Nvidia on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
    OK, got a Ryzen 2700x in one box, an i7-8086k in the other, and a 1080-ti and an RX Vega 64.

One machine needs to be Windows 10. One machine needs to be Linux. Not terribly concerned with getting the best gaming benchmarks. Seriously concerned about heat and fan noise (I'm air cooling and not overclocking).

How should I go?
    For ease of setup, I'd go with the vega on Linux (no proprietary drivers, should work OOTB on a relatively up-to-date distro).

I also have a Ryzen 2700x on my linux box, works quite well. I don't know what the situation is vs windows, but the threadripper seemed to like Linux better, so maybe there's something here as well?

My GPU is a R9 Fury (I'll admit being biased towards AMD), but my system runs pretty hot here (300W GPU + 100W CPU, micro atx form factor in a Q300P), especially with the summer. I had to add quite a bit of fans, which are definitely noticeable (especially since I haven't connected their pwm yet).

That said, the CPU fan sometimes stops completely, and is relatively silent overall when it's not too hot. Same for my GPU and PSU. So if you can invest in better fans (be quiet ones?) for your tower, that might be a good idea.

Intel and nVidia generally are more energy-efficient, so sun cooler and more silent, but that's true for both OSes. I think that the wraith prism that comes with the Ryzen is better (noise, effectiveness) than the stock Intel ones. That's my 2 cents

Leave a comment:

• xxmitsu
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Padoka PPA has been broken for Radeon at least on all my configurations the past few weeks. The X Server will end up seg faulting or so, haven't had time to track it down specifically what in the PPA is causing the breakage for lack of time so been using Oibaf.
    Understood, thank you! It is sad though, as this means the current testing might not reflect the actual situation.
    Last edited by xxmitsu; 20 August 2018, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Padoka PPA has been broken for Radeon at least on all my configurations the past few weeks. The X Server will end up seg faulting or so, haven't had time to track it down specifically what in the PPA is causing the breakage for lack of time so been using Oibaf.
    Any chance it's related to this? It's not a wayland-specific issue. https://wordpress.padoka.org/2018/06...nd-workaround/

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The situation isn't very different for Thromes of Britannia,

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
    Michael, you're usually testing with pandoka ppa as it provides newer llvm. How come you're using oibaf's for those tests?

Leave a comment:

• xxmitsu
    replied
    Michael, you're usually testing with pandoka ppa as it provides newer llvm. How come you're using oibaf's for those tests?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X