Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Fresh Look At The NVIDIA vs. Radeon Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt For August 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aleksei
    replied
    2 cents on the general Nvidia/AMD choice - I had a weird issue with Nvidia 1060 - it crashed when there was static electricity around. Go around on the dry floor, then touch the keyboard - PC crashes, only way out is hard reset. Didn't have this issue once after switching to AMD RX 560. Everything is properly grounded of course. Weird.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Yeah you mean the video game presets, hmm, wish they be kept consistent between articles as it makes it hard to compare.

Leave a comment:

• flecht
    replied
    theriddick You are comparing results for different graphics presets (default vs high).

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    These are worse results then that of the June 1st ones for some reason, in particular look at Mad Max results. With a 5ghz CPU here we should see overall better performance for AMD since the drivers are more CPU bound then NVIDIA, but we don't.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Poor 'hot' Vega64, still not able to use that 13tflop compute power, I'm sure they will be great cards when their going for $100

Lets hope AMD offers something more competitive next time around, I wouldn't mind the Vega cards that much but their pricepoint is WELL above NVIDIA's faster offerings (for gaming at least).

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
    I can't recommend people to get RX580 for their new PC in mid-2018. Nvidia 20 series is out. And God knows I hate nvidia drivers. But you just have no choice. For all the AMD shilling i've done in the past 6 months, the go-to card for 400€ish consumer all this time was Nvidia 1070ti, even with linux. I probably need a new GPU, but I'll only get one if I can get a good deal on an AMD GPU. Is this time ever going to come?
    Nvidia 20 series is at a much higher price point than the rx 580. The Rx 580 will still be the card to get for 1080p gaming, both on windows and Linux.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    damn Vega is really slow on Linux. Not just at perf/watt or perf/$ but raw performance is poor. Shame the drivers are in this state a year after launch.

Leave a comment:

• IreMinMon
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post

It's foss amd driver vs closed source nvidia one. It's actually super cool that nowadays it even makes sense to compare that. On windows with proprietary drivers and d3d on both sides, amd looks much better.
    I know I know.
    But for the latest few Mesa releases I haven't seen much improvement for Vega. I can remember a year or so ago reading these articles with Rx480 and RX580, progress seemed much faster. RADV does seem to be doing better progress, but not Radeon.

And I mean, RX580 seems very competitive, it's just that as soon as you decide to get something more expensive, performance scales up quite badly. It's the one benchmark I want to see on phoronix - Vega 56 / RX580 ratio of performance on both Windows and linux, side by side.

I can't recommend people to get RX580 for their new PC in mid-2018. Nvidia 20 series is out. And God knows I hate nvidia drivers. But you just have no choice. For all the AMD shilling i've done in the past 6 months, the go-to card for 400€ish consumer all this time was Nvidia 1070ti, even with linux. I probably need a new GPU, but I'll only get one if I can get a good deal on an AMD GPU. Is this time ever going to come?

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
    Vega 64 consistently performs worse than 1070ti. New Nvidia GPUs are basically here. Who to blame?
    It's foss amd driver vs closed source nvidia one. It's actually super cool that nowadays it even makes sense to compare that. On windows with proprietary drivers and d3d on both sides, amd looks much better.

Leave a comment:

• flischo
    replied
    The performance per watt is fine, I guess, but it would be nice to know the power consumption of the different graphics cards with the same fps (vsync @ 60) which, in my opinion, is a more real scenario.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X