Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing Videos in 4K in Adobe Premiere on Windows 10 in a VM

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has any experience editing videos in 4K inside a virtual machine on a Linux host using GPU passthrough. If you do, what was your experience? Did you experience any frame drops when editing at full resolution? Before you tell me to dual boot, I'd like to mention that for security reasons, I'd like to avoid running Windows 10 on 'bare metal', but if it can't be done, then I guess I will have to dual boot. I'm not interested in just "functional-level" performance, I also need to know whether it's at all practical, if you know what I mean.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Use Kdenlive
    Is that a no?

To be honest, I'd rather dual boot than have to relearn everything I know.

Comment

I've tried it in the past and while one can probably make it work, my limited experience indicates debianxfce probably gave you the right answer if you absolutely must positively edit video and use a Linux machine. Dual booting to Windows and running Premier in its native environment isn't all that burdensome...if your hardware is heavy enough to properly support video editing, Window X boot time should be minimal. Use the time to refill your coffee cup or hit on the admin help.

Comment

I've tried it in the past and while one can probably make it work, my limited experience indicates debianxfce probably gave you the right answer if you absolutely must positively edit video and use a Linux machine.
        Even with GPU passthrough?

Comment

Working...
        X