Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NVIDIA/AMD Linux GPU Gaming Benchmarks & Performance-Per-Dollar For July 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be happy if AMD released a Vega 96 on 7nm process with a half sized PCB.
    That would be awesome, because then you could easily strap a smaller GPU cooler block to it much like the half sized PCB vega64 cards we are seeing now (full sized heatsink).

The 1080ti is at the max power draw I can really tolerate, thought in saying that downclocking Vega cards seems to be a good way to resolve that 300TDP issue.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      I got a good offer for a GTX 1070 Ti and thus switched to it from a RX 560.
      The Nvidia driver is worse than ever before, lots of games like War for the Overworld or Serious Sam Fusion run with just shitty performance. I get system freezes with DXVK, I can't get mpv to work without constant microstutter, Xorg performance when creating windows is still abysmal and of course general compatibility with xorg compositors too. GDM doesn't even start with Wayland, running folding@home even makes the mousecursor stutter while with the RX 560, I could watch stutter free videos in mpv Vulkan at the same time.

Nvidia doesn't care about Linux desktop users, it's a completely broken mess. Everyone should be aware before buying (I was, I will likely replace the card with Navi.) and not get fooled by some high fps in games which run better on Windows anyway.
      I think the big problem when you talk about gdm is gnome and their garbage produts, with unity/compiz the last nvidia driver works well, using gnome 3.28 the nightmare beggins, even using amd (rx460OC opendriver) or intel hd520 sna or glamor

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
        Even before AMD started their open source initiatives, they were still the favorite company for many Linux users. I think it's probably related to being the under dog, so they appeal more to technical users.

I'm pretty big fan of NVidia myself and happy with my trusty 1080. But I'd like to see AMD succeed. Competition is great!
        agree, I buy a Ryzen cpu this week after years using intel on desktop, competion is good and we need amd/nvidia and intel/amd like we need windows/macos/linux systems

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

agree, I buy a Ryzen cpu this week after years using intel on desktop, competion is good and we need amd/nvidia and intel/amd like we need windows/macos/linux systems
          I still think there's not enough competition. I wish three more CPU and GPU makers able to provide high-end solutions.

Comment

I think the cheers for AMD (here) should be challenged because AMD still seems to put out an inferior product regarding (power) efficiency. The AMD cards pull more power and higher temps than comparable Nvidia card products. Even if the drivers are perceived as better, you are still using up way more wattage and arguably, higher temps. I would still be on the fence regarding a future gpu purchase. I think I would prefer to support AMD but can't get over the poor efficiency of their cards.

Maybe an RX 560 would do if I wasn't caring about gaming too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              I think the cheers for AMD (here) should be challenged because AMD still seems to put out an inferior product regarding (power) efficiency. The AMD cards pull more power and higher temps than comparable Nvidia card products. Even if the drivers are perceived as better, you are still using up way more wattage and arguably, higher temps. I would still be on the fence regarding a future gpu purchase. I think I would prefer to support AMD but can't get over the poor efficiency of their cards.

Maybe an RX 560 would do if I wasn't caring about gaming too much.
              I don't think there's much question that NVidia's hardware right now is better than AMD's. Just architecturally. We can still celebrate that the drivers and software side of things is doing well, because that's all AMD can really control for now. And it means that if they fix the hardware side in a couple years hopefully the software will still be there to back it up.

Comment

Any chance of some Unigine Valley benches at some point? I'm seeing 300 points less on my new RX580 (literally the fastest AIB version too) vs my old run-of-the-mill GTX 1060 and would like to see if others are seeing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I don't think there's much question that NVidia's hardware right now is better than AMD's. Just architecturally. We can still celebrate that the drivers and software side of things is doing well, because that's all AMD can really control for now. And it means that if they fix the hardware side in a couple years hopefully the software will still be there to back it up.
                  Yeah, the FUD recently, in this thread, was pretty sad.

There's still plenty of complaints about AMD drivers in Linux, too. Of course, Nvidia's driver has issues but Nvidia hardware is still the choice of most Linux users, AFAIK. It bothered me that Wayland is not usable with a Nvidia card but it still hasn't caught on so I'm forgetting about it for now.

Comment

Working...
                  X