Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NVIDIA/AMD Linux GPU Gaming Benchmarks & Performance-Per-Dollar For July 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NVIDIA/AMD Linux GPU Gaming Benchmarks & Performance-Per-Dollar For July 2018

Phoronix: The NVIDIA/AMD Linux GPU Gaming Benchmarks & Performance-Per-Dollar For July 2018

In part with GPU demand by crypto-currency miners waning a bit, NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics card availability at retailers has been improving in recent weeks as well as seeing less inflated prices than just recently had been the case. Given the better availability and stabilizing prices, here is a fresh look of the current line-up of GeForce and Radeon graphics cards under Ubuntu Linux using the newest AMD/NVIDIA drivers and also providing performance-per-dollar metrics given current retail prices.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's quite significant that the 560 and 580 are able to top the price performance charts for a number of the games using the open driver. I doubt many would have believed that would be the case a few years back.

Comment

I got a good offer for a GTX 1070 Ti and thus switched to it from a RX 560.
      The Nvidia driver is worse than ever before, lots of games like War for the Overworld or Serious Sam Fusion run with just shitty performance. I get system freezes with DXVK, I can't get mpv to work without constant microstutter, Xorg performance when creating windows is still abysmal and of course general compatibility with xorg compositors too. GDM doesn't even start with Wayland, running folding@home even makes the mousecursor stutter while with the RX 560, I could watch stutter free videos in mpv Vulkan at the same time.

Nvidia doesn't care about Linux desktop users, it's a completely broken mess. Everyone should be aware before buying (I was, I will likely replace the card with Navi.) and not get fooled by some high fps in games which run better on Windows anyway.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        with ultra quality setitngs you can
        Dota 2

Vulkan
        (leftover text)

this Vulkan-powred racer
        Also, I don't like how the 1080 Ti is 1.8x (!) faster than the 1080 in the BioShock 4K High benchmark. Is NVIDIA cheating here or what?
        Last edited by tildearrow; 12 July 2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I am surprised to see that Vega 56 near consistently does well against Nvidia 1070 and Vega 64 is doing great as well. I really think we entered the golden age of Open Source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            I got a good offer for a GTX 1070 Ti and thus switched to it from a RX 560.
            The Nvidia driver is worse than ever before, lots of games like War for the Overworld or Serious Sam Fusion run with just shitty performance. I get system freezes with DXVK, I can't get mpv to work without constant microstutter, Xorg performance when creating windows is still abysmal and of course general compatibility with xorg compositors too. GDM doesn't even start with Wayland, running folding@home even makes the mousecursor stutter while with the RX 560, I could watch stutter free videos in mpv Vulkan at the same time.

Nvidia doesn't care about Linux desktop users, it's a completely broken mess. Everyone should be aware before buying (I was, I will likely replace the card with Navi.) and not get fooled by some high fps in games which run better on Windows anyway.
            Yeah, these days anyone who says the Nvidia proprietary driver is the golden example of graphics on linux is full of shit.

I've been happy with my RX 580 since the day I got it and haven't looked back.

Comment

Simply fantastic. Congratulations to AMD, you have succeeded with an open source strategy. Nvidia, you'd better shape up and open up now. You messed up gpgpu by being proprietary, and are now starting a death dance on GPUs in general. It may already be too late for Nvidia.

Comment

NVIDIA just released a new beta driver that fixes some of the freeze issues people were having with DXVK. I'd suggest people using that move to it.

I have a 1080ti because 4k, which AMD doesn't really compete in yet, one day.

Comment

Impressive how badly the GTX 1060 is on Linux, compared to the RX 580. I even looked to see if Michael was using the 3 GB version, but no, is it was the top 6 GB version. Funny that on Windows, people often say that the 1060 is better, but on Linux is the other way around, unless you need a ITX version, where AMD only have to offer the RX 570 and those are somewhat rare (I managed to get one).

Above 1080p gaming Nvidia loose steam badly (pum intended), at 4k things look surprisingly red :-) AMD sure wanted that some of those benchmarks were made on Windows, because things are looking good for them here.

Kudos for all opensource developers out there, these are fruits of your hard work. I'm totally trowing some money your (employer) way at the end of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Funny that on Windows, people often say that the 1060 is better, but on Linux is the other way around, unless you need a ITX version, where AMD only have to offer the RX 570 and those are somewhat rare (I managed to get one).
                    To my recollection, the 580 tends to perform better than the 1060 on Windows too, the performance gap just isn't quite as wide.

Comment

Working...
                    X