Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With OpenGL/Vulkan On GTX 1060/1080 Ti & RX 580/Vega 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most the time the requirement is a command line benchmark method. Which many games don't support. Otherwise the added manual labor just makes it impractical to produce benchmark data all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      I see the same useless games being hobby-horsed around as benchmarks. Go to TechPowerUp, Guru3D, compare latest titles on Windows and Linux [for ported games] and let's talk. I don't seem to recognize any of these games being benchmarked on Windows sites with DirectX12.
      Is VKD3D sufficiently far along to run DX12 games ?

I know there has been some work done on DX12 for WINE but didn't think it was that far along.
      Last edited by bridgman; 29 June 2018, 10:41 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Is VKD3D sufficiently far along to run DX12 games ?

I know there has been some work done on DX12 for WINE but didn't think it was that far along.
        It's not. Can only run some basic samples so far.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Vulkan works on Windows 7
          Of course but the question was regarding DX11 vs DX12, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

While I am not a programmer/game developer, I draw my conclusion from some good ports, like any Source Engine game (Portal, HL2 etc.), even Portal 2 (not sure if it uses source engine) runs better on GNU/Linux (at least for me, so subjective view) compared to Windows. That shows that it is possible to do good port without re-writing game code, and what is probably (again my own assumption) most important thing here is the game engine. So, to the extent you are probably right that game developers can't influence behaviour of game engine they use (since for most games developers use some engine = UE4, Unity, whatever), they can tweak it and do all sorts of things, but core issues that might be present in the engine they have no access to.

Still, it doesn't change the fact that developers did choose engine in question, and most of the time, it is their choice driven by profitability.
            And that is due to Valve having done just that, put significant effort into the source engine so it works better in Linux, i.e they rewrote big parts of it and used the open source drivers to see exactly how the drivers under Linux worked with their engine.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Of course but the question was regarding DX11 vs DX12, nothing else.
              I was simply saying that as another negative for DX12 for any developer who considers it (compared to Vulkan)

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                I was simply saying that as another negative for DX12 for any developer who considers it (compared to Vulkan)
                No , it is not. Since also Xbox have Dx12.

But DX11 is just fine for devs because you can cover Windows 10 , Windows 7 and 8 , Xbox users with that.

With Vulkan , you can cover Win 10 , 7 , 8 , Linux. From a sale perspective , DX11 is the most relevant api.

Comment

So AMD doesnt sucks on Linux anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

No , it is not. Since also Xbox have Dx12.

But DX11 is just fine for devs because you can cover Windows 10 , Windows 7 and 8 , Xbox users with that.

With Vulkan , you can cover Win 10 , 7 , 8 , Linux. From a sale perspective , DX11 is the most relevant api.
                    Which is why we hope that one day Sony and Nintento will switch to Vulkan to really make DX12 a difficult choice for game devs.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Which is why we hope that one day Sony and Nintento will switch to Vulkan to really make DX12 a difficult choice for game devs.
                      Nintendo supports NVN api ( Nvidia's api developed for Switch ) , OGL and Vulkan on Switch.

But i don't think Sony will ever do that. They're even against cross-platform play , so that will be the same comes down to api.

Comment

Working...
                      X