Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With OpenGL/Vulkan On GTX 1060/1080 Ti & RX 580/Vega 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With OpenGL/Vulkan On GTX 1060/1080 Ti & RX 580/Vega 64

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With OpenGL/Vulkan On GTX 1060/1080 Ti & RX 580/Vega 64

Here are our latest benchmark numbers for looking at the performance of Windows 10 vs. Linux for OpenGL/Vulkan graphics driver performance for both NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon hardware using the latest drivers as of June 2018 for OpenGL and Vulkan.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Spectacular Mesa numbers, we can take this moment to remind AMD that nothing legally prevents them from shipping Mesa on Windows. ;- )

Comment

So we've basically reached the point where Linux performance is beginning to leave both Windows and Mac in the dust.

Comment

In my past reading of Windows vs Linux gaming benchmarks including this one, there seems to be a pattern of Linux winning in the HD resolutions, but Windows overtaking in the higher or 4K resolutions most of the time.

Can anyone explain what it is about the Windows driver model that permits its frame rates to scale farther than Linux? (or vice versa), what parts of the Linux driver model is causing the inability to scale when the resolutions increase?

With the nature of DDK development today, the best option would be they are identical, since the hardware is. Is it structural, meaning the way the OS manages hardware is so unique, that the drivers can (Windows) or cannot overcome (Linux) the OS limitations, or is it something else?

Comment

I think it's mostly better CPU optimization of AMD's FOSS drivers and lower overhead of Linux in general vs. better GPU utilization optimizations of proprietary drivers in higher resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            In my past reading of Windows vs Linux gaming benchmarks including this one, there seems to be a pattern of Linux winning in the HD resolutions, but Windows overtaking in the higher or 4K resolutions most of the time.

Can anyone explain what it is about the Windows driver model that permits its frame rates to scale farther than Linux? (or vice versa), what parts of the Linux driver model is causing the inability to scale when the resolutions increase?

With the nature of DDK development today, the best option would be they are identical, since the hardware is. Is it structural, meaning the way the OS manages hardware is so unique, that the drivers can (Windows) or cannot overcome (Linux) the OS limitations, or is it something else?
            I'm not sure however I do know X11 is notoriously bad at handling CPU usage https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/HighCPU which can lead to lower performance in high-draw call situations. It may be just be the method that SDL or the toolkit the game developers use to draw to a surface, if the draw method has a high CPU overhead (not surprising given how X.Org is designed) it would explain why it isn't as evident in lower resolutions. I'm not sure however because there is lack of historical benchmark data on alternative display servers like Gnome's Wayland compositor or the compositor is too new and unstable to get viable benchmarks from.

Comment

I'd be really interested in the comparison of power consumption (or utilization) of the gpus and cpu during those benchmarks.

Maybe that could give a hint about the bottlenecks.

Comment

smile on the face

In a couple of year an old .iso of windows 7 running in a virtual machine will be enough to play all the old windows games which really can't run on wine. For the rest wine is already doing great, and the recent port from feral (Rise of Tomb Raider and Total War Throne of Britania) is already matching the performance of windows 10. A porting studio who has like 100 times less ressources than the big studios who develop thoses games can rival the AAA teams.

all this is looking very good for the year of linux on desktop ( in a few years I guess). Since 2015 I already refuse to all my consumers to install windows 10 unless, it is for a very specific professional use.

Comment

seeing linux lead like this puts a smile on my face
                  Last edited by davidbepo; 28 June 2018, 04:59 PM. Reason: lol typo

Comment

I suppose the another question is Linux Vulkan vs DX9/DX11 in DOTA2 (and other games).

Comment

Working...
                    X