Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With OpenGL/Vulkan On GTX 1060/1080 Ti & RX 580/Vega 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Actually no these benchmarks are amazing. Remember there's still people who think the Linux drivers are far below that of Windows and even with perfect ports or no overhead in Wine we'll still have like half the frame rate... So they prove that no, the drivers don't suck just because they're on Linux.

And well... you guys who fanboy over DX11, are you saying it's better than Vulkan on Windows or what?

I can't wait for the Wine gaming benchmarks. Not that I expect them to be better than Windows or for other stupid reasons, but I'm genuinely curious what you can expect out of Wine's overhead these days on many different titles. So I'll only be really interested in the ratio (i.e. overhead).
    First ; i'm not a Dx11 lover and have no reason for it.

Second ; it is pretty normal that OpenGL and Vulkan drivers are pretty good on Linux because we are depending on these api's. On Windows , nearly everybody depends on Dx11 so it is also pretty normal that Dx11 drivers would better optimized on Windows rather than OGL and VLK.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
      But if you are saying , game runs 200 fps on Windows while Linux has 100 fps , that is some serious bullshit.
      Not sure about ROTR specifically, but there have been cases where the Windows implementation has a heavily optimized DX11 or DX12 renderer while the Linux implementation has a significantly different (and totally unoptimized) OpenGL renderer that one developer put together in their spare time... and in those cases you can definitely see a 2:1 difference in performance.

The difference has nothing to do with OS or drivers and everything to do with the game port, but unfortunately that doesn't make it any less real.

AFAIK the tests in this article were run with apps that were able to use the same renderer on Windows and Linux, focusing on differences between driver and OS, and the results make it clear that Linux is more than competitive with Windows in terms of driver and OS performance.

Michael has written articles previously which looked at games with significantly different implementations on Windows and Linux (typically DX11 vs OpenGL, with most of the optimization effort going into the DX11 code), and in those cases there were definitely more significant differences.
      Last edited by bridgman; 28 June 2018, 08:34 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Michael

It would be really interesting to see linux deepin in the tests, since it has crossover/wine out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          So we've basically reached the point where Linux performance is beginning to leave both Windows and Mac in the dust.
          Yes. It's over. We won. Apple and Microsoft are soon bankrupt and finished. Wintoddlers will never recover.

Comment

I would like to Linux Mint 19 added to this mix

Comment

Second ; it is pretty normal that OpenGL and Vulkan drivers are pretty good on Linux because we are depending on these api's. On Windows , nearly everybody depends on Dx11 so it is also pretty normal that Dx11 drivers would better optimized on Windows rather than OGL and VLK.

Comment

bridgman And vice versa (in rare cases) as we can observe from OpenArena where clearly it was optimized better for GNU/Linux, where Windows port is far worse it seems (there is no 4k results, so can't conclude it for sure). But yeah. terrible ports are the biggest problem.

Comment

last time I check dx11 is ancient abi, if devs are using that is only because of dx12 flop

Comment

DX11 is still widely used because its easy and well known, plus almost all graphics engines are built upon DX11 optimization with sometimes other API's slapped on top.

Until DX12/Vulkan becomes the standard then DX11 performance is still very relevant. It's a shame DX12 is becoming a walled garden API, seeing lots of developers locking in with MS Store.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      It looked like auto-correct giving you some unwanted help
                      not really, i did make the mistake by myself

Comment

Working...
                      X